X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performa (Maytag) Washing Machine Will Not Go Into Spin Cycle

Performa (Maytag) Model# PAVT920AWW
    Serial# 27399611JJ

The machine will go through the wash cycle with a growling/grinding noise, but when it's time for it to enter the spin cycle the motor runs for a few seconds, but never starts spinning, then the motor power is interrupted and the machine loses all power. Is this likely a bad thrust bearing? I know I'll need to investigate before ordering the part. If the problem is a thrust bearing does anyone know the correct part number for the bearing kit?
    Last edited by FordMan59; 11-05-2014, 08:46 PM.

I don't have enough experience with that washer design to say whether the thrust bearing is likely to be the cause but it could be a possibility. For the noise during agitation, an internal problem with the transmission could also be a possibility or the agitator slipping on the drive shaft.

The thrust bearing kit at the following link is the correct one for your washer model. There is also a video there showing the replacement procedure.

LINK > Maytag PAVT920AWW Thrust Bearing Kit

The service manual at the following link may pertain to your washer design as well although not for your specific model.

LINK > Maytag Performa Washer Service Manual

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for your reply Dan O., I was hoping you'd see this thread and have some input. I'm thinking it's probably the thrust bearing making the noise and causing the lock up when it goes into the spin cycle. Something I forgot to mention in the previous post is that without water/clothes in the machine it will go into the spin cycle and there's no roaring/grinding noise. With the machine not running if I try to turn the agitator there's no slipping on the drive shaft. I've got to go to my mom's house this morning and try to take care of a plumbing problem for her, but hoping when I return home my back isn't bothering me too bad and I can turn the washing machine where I can get to the bottom and check the thrust bearing. I'm hoping it's something simple. If it's the transmission I'll likely just ditch the machine and buy a new one. If you or anyone else have any other suggestions of possible things to check I'd appreciate the input. I'd already looked at thrust bearing kits on the internet and suspected the one you listed as being the correct part number, thanks for verifying the correct kit. I saw one seller on eBay selling the same kit for $20.67 with free shipping.
      Last edited by FordMan59; 11-06-2014, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Something I forgot to mention in the previous post is that without water/clothes in the machine it will go into the spin cycle and there's no roaring/grinding noise.
        I can't think of a cause of a grinding noise that would be affected by water in the tub.

if I try to turn the agitator there's no slipping on the drive shaft.
        That rules out one of the easier possibilities to correct.

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I pulled the thrust bearing yesterday, everything seemed tight there and the bearing seemed to be working smoothly. Now I'm wondering if this could be the spin bearing. What does getting to the spin bearing consist of? Could you give me a part number on the spin bearing kit and any possible seals that might need replacing along with it?

Comment

I haven't performed that job myself to tell you what's involved but the service manual I linked to previously should describe the procedure.

Dan O.
            Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I just noticed while looking back at some of my previous posts that I never updated this one with the solution to the problem. I talked to a local repairman who said he'd seen this happen before on this model when the motor was bad. He had a used motor for $35 so I bought and installed it myself, the machine has been working fine since. Just wanted to update the thread with the resolution in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Comment

Thank's for sharing your expierience, because I thought that it's the problem with water.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =