Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser 73 Operation at high altitude

I have been trying to find out info about the "high altitude" operation. Toyo suggests making the switch to the pin on the circuit board if you are located above 3000 ft. According to the info I found the fuel consumption is reduced by approx 10 %. I do not understand exactly why toyo suggests this but I just tried it. Anyone have any info?
    From the Rural Energy site

Toyostove Laser 56, Laser 60, and Laser 73 Operation at High Altitude

WARNING

Rural Energy Enterprises, Inc. does not accept liability for the improper use of this information. Installation, service, and maintenance of heating equipment should be performed by a qualified technician. Improper installation, adjustment, alteration, service, or maintenance can cause property damage, personal injury, or loss of life.
    0 to 3000 ft.:

No restrictions, other than the use to extension pipes is limited to 10 feet with three (3) 90° joint elbows. Fuel*: kerosene or #1 heating oil with specific gravity less than 0.82.
    3000 to 6000 ft.:

Move jumper wire from Lo altitude to Hi altitude pin.* The flue pipe must be a direct connection without exhaust extension pipes. Fuel: kerosene or #1 heating oil with specific gravity less than 0.815
    6000 to 9000 ft:

Move jumper wire from Lo altitude to Hi altitude pin.* Remove air damper in base of outlet adapter (black hose between combustion blower motor and base panel). The flue pipe must be a direct connection without exhaust extension pipes. Fuel: kerosene or #1 heating oil with specific gravity less than 0.815
    More than 9000 ft.:

Not recommended.
    *Note: Changing the jumper wire from Lo altitude to Hi altitude decreases the fuel flow by approximately 10%. This may require fine-tuning the fuel pump controller. See L56/73 Service Manual, page 37, for complete directions.
    Depending on fuel quality (specific gravity @ 60 F), it may be beneficial to change the jumper at elevations greater than 2000 feet or when using the long exhaust extension kit.
    Depending on fuel quality, it may be beneficial to increase air damper opening by 1 mm per 500 ft. above 3000 ft.

There is less oxygen at 3000 ft than there is at sea level. If you try the same fuel flow you will have too much fuel for the amount of air.

Tom

Comment

Working...
    X
    =