Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residential occupancy sensor question

I'd like to install a sensor in the laundry room. I've searched the net and can't find a product to meet these two criteria:
    1. sensor will operate a three-way light circuit.
    2. sensor will replace an existing standard light switch in a dual box (two switches, one for laundry, other for garage)

Does anyone know of a drop-in product out there like this? I'd really like to avoid installing a new box, cutting drywall, etc.

TIA

why not use a conventional motion sensor array. like what is used outside to turn on floodlights etc. load limit 600 watts.
    you can vary the sensor area and the time it is on. if someone is in the room, every time that person moves, the circuit will recycle itself and exeand the time(s)
    It is wired so that the black and white are on all the time, the load comes off the red wire and the white. connect your room lights to the red wire.
    you won't need the three way circuit for the laundry room, the sensor is a single pole device.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      why not use a conventional motion sensor array. like what is used outside to turn on floodlights etc. load limit 600 watts.
      This would work but, it violates my second stipulation - that the sensor replace the existing switch. If there were a faceplate to fit the sensor and the garage switch that would be ideal. I looked at Lowe's the other day and found several sensors, all of which come with a single-position face plate.

It is wired so that the black and white are on all the time, the load comes off the red wire and the white. connect your room lights to the red wire.
      you won't need the three way circuit for the laundry room, the sensor is a single pole device.
      Do these devices have a hard contact or a Triac type output? Yes, I can live without the 3-way switch action but I'm unsure how to wire it. I presume I'd have to figure out if power comes through the first switch or the light fixture, correct?

Some more searching produced the Lumax COD series fixtures. I didn't check prices but this may be an option. I tried to post a link to same but, I don't have enough time in here. Thoughts?

Thanks for your response.

Comment

I did some checking for a full voltage occupancy sensor. I came up with a Pass & Seymour type.
        Pass & Seymour® Dual Technology Wall Switch Sensor, Black

WDT100BK

It has DIP switches for setups, so I'm assuming it's a triac output. If you are adventurous your could interpose a single pole relay into the circuit - I.E. the sensor would operate a relay connected to your load. In this forum under a "sticky" you'll find three diagrams for three way switch configurations. line in one, load off the other. Line and load in ceiling fixture.
        If you need a diagram msg me and I'll draw up one.

Comment

Some of the offerings appear to have hard contacts which are controlled because a zero-crossing feature is claimed.

I think I'm going to proceed thus: It'll cost a bit more but the easiest way forward I can see is to get a "standard" occupancy sensor and pair it with a rocker type switch from the same manufacturer and use a compatible 2-gang faceplate.

Comment

After more research online and in-store (Lowe's) I find I can get a 2-gang faceplate for one decorator device (the sensor) and one conventional toggle switch - and they have a 2-way sensor on the shelf. Are there any wrinkles in the wiring if a 2-way switch is used as opposed to a 3-way? May I assume a now-unused wire or two will be bugged off?

Comment

motion sensor

take a look at my diagram. if this is something you can use ok, if not repost and tell me what you have.Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	87308

Comment

Thank you Hayzee518. I have yet to open the boxes to see how things are arranged.

A couple of questions relating to your drawing:
                1. Is the box on the right representing a switch which is now removed from the circuit?
                2. Does number one imply that the load is now controlled only by the sensor?
                3. I 'assume' device means the lamp/load?

Also, I'm a little confused by the three 2-wire symbols. Are there actually this many cables involved in a 3-way setup?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug-P View Post
                  Thank you Hayzee518. I have yet to open the boxes to see how things are arranged.
                  Device is your sensor

A couple of questions relating to your drawing:
                  1. Is the box on the right representing a switch which is now removed from the circuit?

remote switch that was the three way
                  2. Does number one imply that the load is now controlled only by the sensor?

Load comes off the red wire on the sensor, spliced to the three wire and to the black load wire
                  3. I 'assume' device means the lamp/load?

normal configuration for a three way is line comes in one box, is switched between the two boxes [and switches] and the load is taken off the remote box

Look through the stickies I have for three or four switching diagrams and this or that will explain it.

Also, I'm a little confused by the three 2-wire symbols. Are there actually this many cables involved in a 3-way setup?
                  first box [two gang] upper left line in, lower right load connected to the single pole switch, remote box - ceiling light load.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	laundry 3-way light circuit.jpg
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	87309

Here's my circuit. S1 is the one I want to replace with the sensor. I believe this is what you posted, just reinterpreted. So, the way I understand it the 2-way sensor replaces S1 (the sensor gets its own hot and common to run the sensing circuit/timer); one of the switched lines out of S1 is removed from the circuit and; the other is connected to the switched side of the sensor. That switched wire, let's say RED is tied directly to the black wire currently serving as S2's connection to the light, thus removing S2 from the circuit.

The graphic didn't come out nearly as large as it is in the preview pane.

Is this correct?
                    Last edited by Doug-P; 12-09-2014, 03:32 PM. Reason: explanation

Comment

motion sensor

I copied your diagram and referenced to it and drew another one with the sensor in place.
                      The remote switch remove completely. wire your load black to red and white to white.
                      Install a blank plate over the switchbox.
                      The #1 box. remove the 3 way switch completely.
                      Cap off the black wire only.
                      Feed a hot black to the sensor device and a white wire.
                      The white should already be connected to the line white. put the white wire from the sensor to these whites.
                      wire the red wire to one of the relay outputs, leave the other blank.Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	87310

Comment

Thanks. Weather permitting I'm going to get the parts tomorrow. I'll post when I'm done.

Comment

Success! It was pretty easy and only took about twenty minutes to do the actual changeover. The sensor instructions did not indicate a connection to the WHITE wire, it has a green wire and a bare wire which are both connected to GND. The only part remaining is to order the 2-gang plate with one toggle + one blank, Lowe's didn't have one on the shelf.

Thanks HayZee518 for assist!

Comment

I copied your diagram and referenced to it and drew another one with the sensor in place.
                            The remote switch remove completely. wire your load black to red and white to white.
                            Install a blank plate over the switchbox.
                            The #1 box. remove the 3 way switch completely.
                            Cap off the black wire only.
                            Feed a hot black to the sensor device and a white wire.
                            The white should already be connected to the line white. put the white wire from the sensor to these whites.
                            wire the red wire to one of the relay outputs, leave the other blank.[ATTACH=CONFIG]2689[/ATTACH]

Thank you for share this for us! Learn much from it.

Did you make it?

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =