Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vinyl siding over old lap siding?

Not painting the house ever again. Not gonna do it. It won't keep paint for more than three years, so I figure siding is my other option.

I've found lots of information about installing vinyl siding, and it doesn't look like it would challenge me at all. The one question I haven't been able to answer yet is this:

Do I take off the old siding or apply over it? The house is done up now in cedar clapboard. Does it come off or do I put the 1/4" foam over it?
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

The fan fold goes right over the top of the existing siding. Now if the old siding is loose, split or in poor condition it would be wise to remove it first, but if it's still soundly attached to the house you can go straight over the top of it (standard practice).

Cannot stress it enough >>>>>> NEVER hammer home the siding nails always leave them a little loose.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thank you, pushkins.

I have always wondered, wouldn't that make the J- and F-channel sit proud of the brick molding around the windows and doors?

Siding nails: yep, that much I do know.
      Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
      Cut with an axe.

Comment

The J & F channels are what holds the ends of the siding in place where it abuts a window or door moulding. These you nail firmly into the siding. Form the corners so that the flat part of the J channel inserts into the vertical piece of the window or door channel.
        Only need about 3/4 - 1 inch of channel into the vertical piece.

Comment

Yes it will sit out a little from the brick molding, that is pretty standard. Most often I insert a bead of caulkat the intersection of J channel and brick molding. Don't wipe off the bead with your finger just apply a nice small bead and leave it dry.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
            Yes it will sit out a little from the brick molding, that is pretty standard. Most often I insert a bead of caulkat the intersection of J channel and brick molding. Don't wipe off the bead with your finger just apply a nice small bead and leave it dry.
            Well, okay then. Thank you for the input!
            Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
            Cut with an axe.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =