Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyostove Exhaust Bug Shield

At year #8, my Laser 73 started to not burn correctly after taking the summer off. I ran it for a few weeks then had it torn down. Inside we discovered the intake and exhaust was filled with wasps! Apparently the wasps decided my Toyo exhaust was the perfect place to "bunk" for the winter! Well it cost me a burn chamber (the bottom warped and cracked), burn ring (warped and cracked) and a huge parts repair bill. When we put the Laser 73 back into position to hook up the exhaust. I removed the Duct tape covering the open ports and I got a large handful of Lady Bugs! I was getting invaded!
    So with the new (read expensive) parts installed, I decided to stop the little critters from entering my intake/exhaust. An Internet search didn't show anybody else had reported this kind of failure. So I searched further and discovered the RV industry has the same problem and already had a solution.
    From Amazon, I ordered 1- Camco 42150 Flying Insect Screen - WH200 and 1-Camco 42141 Flying Insect Screen - FUR200.
    I measured the diameter of the exhaust snout and used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut a hole in the center of the WH200 screen and slid it over the exhaust snout. I spread the square base to snap over the round intake/exhaust base as shown to protect the intake.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake_Screen_2_zps66fec4f6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	87936
    Next I cut the bird guard off the exhaust snout as shown.

Name:	Exhaust_Guard_Removal.jpg
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	87937
    Then I used the two springs from the WH200 to attach FUR200 screen to the WH200 screen as shown.

Name:	Exhaust_Screen_1.jpg
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	87938 Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust_Screen_2.jpg
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	87939
    Now I am (hopefully) completely sealed against wasps and ladybugs.

Greg Hall
    Tech Editor Productions
    Last edited by TechEditor; 12-09-2014, 10:54 AM.

Be sure to monitor your exhaust the first time you have a very cold moist day. You don't ever want the tip of the exhaust to ice up. A heavy wet snow might be something to think about on the air side as well. It would ruin your day for sure. Tom

Comment

Comment

Working...
      X
      =