Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 110/120 V outlet...

Why do some outlets have a sideways T shaped neutral opening?

I think that's a 230 volt wall receptacle. Used for window air conditioners etc.

Comment

I doubt that. That neutral side can be used for standard 120V plugs. Seems like that could be confused and burn a lot of appliances. The whole outlet does not have horizontal slots, as would a 230 outlet. It has the standard vertical slots, where the hot is smaller than the neutral. The neutral just has that extra horizontal. Just wondering the why of stuff....

Comment

20 amp outlet

Comment

If you look at a 240 volt air conditioner plug you'll see a horizontal leg and one vertical leg. There is no polarity on the plug as in a 120 volt receptacle, one leg has a larger slot to indicate the hot from the neutral leg. Also the amps of a 240 volt receptacle is set at 20 amps. A regular polarized 120 volt outlet can be either 15 or 20 amp.

Comment

The NEMA 5-20 AP variant has a "horizontal" neutral blade (in a plane that would intersect the hot blade). The receptacle has a T-slot for the neutral blade which accepts either 15 A parallel-blade plugs or 20 A plugs.

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I learned stuff again!!

Comment

Originally posted by hawkins111 View Post
                The NEMA 5-20 AP variant has a "horizontal" neutral blade (in a plane that would intersect the hot blade). The receptacle has a T-slot for the neutral blade which accepts either 15 A parallel-blade plugs or 20 A plugs.
                This.

Both 125V and 250V versions of 20A receptacles are typically T-slot on one side. They are basically identical, with the only difference being which side the T-slot is on.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =