Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garage door will not close last inch

My garage door springs were replaced recently. Now when I try to close the garage door it will not close the last 1 to 2 inches. I have already removed 3 quarter turns from each spring thinking the springs were too tight but the problem is exactly the same. The motor is attempting to close it all the way but at the last moment something starts to exert force upward on the door so the door does not close and the rail bends upward instead. I can then finish pushing the door down to the ground, relieving the pressure from the rail (pretty easily). I just can't figure our what is causing the door to stop at the last second. Even without the motor hooked up it will stop at the last second unless it has enough momentum. Any ideas?

EDIT: before the new springs the door was very heavy, could the extra weight have helped force it closed?

Did you try to adjust the opener to let the door travel slightly more downward? I wonder if this was because the opener was not adjusted properly.

Comment

garage door will not close last inch

You have an open limit and a close limit on your Garage Door opener. These limits set the distance the door will open or close before stopping. In the down direction, if the limit is set beyond the point at which the door closes fully, the door will hit the floor and act as if it is hitting something and the safety feature tells it to reverse. If you have a screw drive or chain glide unit you need to set the limit closer to the motor, so the opener shuts off earlier (at the point the door closes). If you have a chain drive with limit lugs attached to the chain, one for the up limit and one for the down limit, you need to experiment with the placement of the down limit lug on the chain, so the opener will shut off at the point the door closes. If your chain drive has 'driven limits,' the limits are individually labelled and adjustable using a screw driver. The 'driven limits' are located on the back or side of the motor head.

Comment

^^^ All that might fix the problem and damage your door, but not the cause.
        You need to balance your door. It should stay by it self half way and full open without any risk of dropping by it self. It's ok if it drop down 3-6 from full open.
        Check your springs, if the coils lock up against each other it will be hard to close. Grab the spring and move it up/down a little, if it like solid, you need to stretch the spring.
        Check your door not binding up against the framing/wall as right before it get to the floor. With the door closed pull in each of the outside hinges to check for play and also the toproller bracket. If no play, your door binding up like the brakes on a car, you need to make adjustment to door or track.
        The smoother and easier the door operates the less wear and tear on the opener.

Comment

Yes, balancing the door would solve your problem. Usually it's the springs that cause the trouble.

Comment

its or the springs or the travel limit

Comment

Working...
            X
            =