Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Toyostove Setback Controller

Since the Toyo Laser’s only have a single setback (Laser 73 specifically), and I thought the factory Toyostove Setback Controller is WAY too expensive, I came up with a way to have as many setbacks as I wanted using my home automation (or you could use a simple timer that is capable of switching 120V).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Setback_Controller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	87941

Pictured is an X10 Home Automation Thermostat Setback Controller. It consists of a 120V wall wart, powering the box. Inside the box are three resistors. Each resistor can be turned on in sequence with a slider switch, located on the bottom of the unit. You can actuate 1, 2, or all 3 resistors to create increasing heat to fake out the Thermistor of the Toyo Laser into thinking the room is way warmer than it actually is. I have mine set on 1 resistor and controlled by my X10 Home Automation. I get between 4-6 degrees of setback (from 70 deg. F. to 64-66 deg. F. with an initial Laser 73 setting of 68 deg. F.) I could get a deeper setback if I engaged the 2nd resistor.
    Mine is programmed to turn off at 5:45AM to get the Laser 73 cranking heat by 6:00AM (it can take up to 15 minutes for the residual heat to dissipate and for the Laser 73 to react. On again at 7:00AM when I leave. Back off at 4:45PM, and finally back on again at 11:00PM.
    This system has worked for over 6 yrs without a problem.

Greg Hall
    Tech Editor Productions
    Last edited by TechEditor; 04-02-2015, 03:16 PM.

A Much Needed Update to the DIY Setback Controller

Well it has been another 6 yrs with this DIY setup and I made a significant change to its operation which makes the Lasers more responsive to room temperatures. I have set the Thermister off the wall so it is reading the actual room temperature and not the outside wall's temperature.
    With a conventional furnace, you never are instructed to place the thermostat on an outside wall. Yet that is where the Laser Thermisters are placed mainly due to the length of the factory connecting wire.
    Here is what I have done to reduce the outside wall influence:

Name:	Setback-Controller-w_Offset for L73.jpg
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	87381 Click image for larger version

Name:	Setback-Controller-w_Offset for L73_Standoffs.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	87382
    This is the setup for my L73. This setup can be used w/o the setback controller on newer Lasers that have the setback programming. The scrap of wall board is set off the "Nickel" wall with 3/4" pine blocks. The Velcro allows minute adjustments to the heaters setback response and depth.

Name:	Setback-Controller-w_Offset-plate for L30.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	87383 Click image for larger version

Name:	Setback-Controller-w_Offset-plate for L30_Standoff.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	87384
    This is the setup for my L30 out in the mudroom. Again, it is positioning the Thermister off the wall so it reads the actual room temperature. Note that on this setup the Thermister is positioned directly over the Setback Controller for faster response and a deeper setback.

Results: I have noticed in really cold weather, the heaters run less and don't overheat the rooms because the Thermister is reading the actual air temperature and not the cooler outside wall temperature.

Wish I had thought of this 12 yrs ago!
    Greg Hall
    Tech Editor Productions
    Last edited by TechEditor; 12-29-2019, 04:29 PM. Reason: Can't Spell!

Comment

Working...
    X
    =