Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 Amp Garage Circuit

I am renting a townhouse while my new home is built. Detached out front 2-car garage (built in the mid 80's). I am DIY guy with many tools located in the cold midwest. My town house garage is detached and cold (below zero at night outside). I need a to use a good high output heater to warm it up so I can comfortably work in it and use products for refinishing etc that require 60F+ degrees. Biggest space heater I can buy and not blow the 15amp fuse (located in the house panel) is still way to wimpy to provide adequate heat. Since this is a rental I can not just rip out wires or modify panels. So I am looking for an external small generator or amp booster device that runs off a 15 amp 120 volt AC circuit and offers up a 30 amp power source.... a 240 volt option would be great but will settle for a 120 volt 30amp option.

I need much more powerful electrical heater and the ability to operate it with multiple tools without blowing the kitchen lights everytime I plug more than one tool or device in at a time.

Suggest that you go with the external (gasoline powered) small generator. It is easy enough to find a 5000 watt generator at a reasonable price. These usually furnish 240 volt / 20 amp supply. And you can take it to your new home when you move.

I've never heard of an 'amp booster device' that can run off a 15 amp 120 volt AC circuit and offer up a 30 amp power source. Sounds like that would defy the laws of physics in that I think it is impossible to get more power out than you put in. Could you be a little more specific?

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Star Charles View Post
      I've never heard of an 'amp booster device' that can run off a 15 amp 120 volt AC circuit and offer up a 30 amp power source. Sounds like that would defy the laws of physics in that I think it is impossible to get more power out than you put in. Could you be a little more specific?
      This. LOL
      There is no such animal in existence. If you find or create one you'll be rich, famous and win the Noble Prize for physics. AND you'll have a hit put out on you by the energy companies.

Personally I suggest a fuel heater. Propane, kerosene, etc. A generator capable of this will be expensive, loud and cost a fortune to run, especially at that kind of continuous wattage.

IMO this whole project seems flawed from the start. A 15A circuit, especially a shared one, will absolutely NOT handle multiple tools, lights and ANY form of heater. Even without the heater you are going to trip the breaker regularly. This place is simply not set up for what you intend to do.

Will the landlord let you have an electrician run a new line? Possibly share the cost?
      Last edited by Speedy Petey; 01-01-2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =