Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new furnace on third floor/attic

Hi, we are looking to replace our steam heat with gas forced air furnace and add a/c. Our contractor wants to place our furnace on the third floor/attic due to no closets on the first floor to run duct work. And they do not drywall open duct work so it would be cheaper to place on third floor/attic. This is the first I have heard of placing a furnace upstairs. Can you please give me some insight of what steps we should take to determine if this is a good way to go. We don't use our third floor at this time but would like to renovate it in the future as a office/ kids bedroom. I have some concern of the safety and noise level. Please let us know what you think. Thanks!!!!
    -Jen

I helped someone renovate a 100 year old three story house and they(heating and air guys) placed a furnace upstairs. I don't know the folks that moved in so I can't say if it was an annoyance. It seemed fine to me... I was there when the a/c was running and all was well. So it isn't unique to you. I bet it will be nice and cozy up there in the winter.

T

Comment

Jen,

Most mfgs. now have an approved gas furnace for closet/upper level
      installation. These are sealed combustion units so the only thing
      that's crucial at installation is to properly vent the furnace. I
      would also recommend a good carbon monoxide detector be installed
      in the room where the furnace is located. Ask your HVAC dealer about
      a compact model if he doesn't suggest it himself. They are only about
      3' in length and are much easier to install/uninstall and service.

Ed

Comment

Working...
      X
      =