Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple torsion spring question....

Form what I understood, when you wind a torsion spring it should get smaller,but this website says not. What gives?

10.1 It is now time to wind the new springs, but before doing so, I recommend marking the shaft just beyond the winding cone. This is a final step taken to assure that you have installed the springs on the correct sides of the center bracket. Torsion springs always grow in length when they are wound in the proper direction. If your spring does not get longer as you wind it, you are winding it the wrong direction probably because it is improperly installed. We recurrently get calls about springs coming loose from the cones at about 6 turns. If this happens, switch the springs.

It wont let me post link to page above

To add, its a two spring system.

Comment

The diameter of the spring will get smaller; however, you will probably not notice that. It's the length of the spring that will get longer. Think of it this way - every time you wind one full turn on the spring you will add one wire diameter to the length. Therefore, if you wind about seven plus turns on a spring that is made from 0.250 inch wire, it will gain almost two inches in length.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =