Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold on the roof

I noticed there is big patch of mold inside my roof. There is no mold anywhere else in the attic. The area is just right above the main bath room's bath tub. Since the bath tub has lower ceiling comparing to other part of the bath room, in the attic, I can see the thick red insulation under the white insulation in that area. So, I am sure it is the place.

I noticed the mold since year 2011. the mold is only between the two beams. I checked the roof and could not see obvious leak.

The pictures were taken yesterday with attic temperature around -9 celcius. It is very cold. There was no snow on the roof.

In one of the pictures, i can see a layer of frost on the wood. Again, that layer of frost only exists in that area. This area is facing north. you can see icicle on the tip of the nail, in other areas on the north side, almost all nails has such icicle. But on the south side of the house, no such icicle.

The house was built in 2001 and I bought it in 2009.

Just want to know what the problem could be. Is it roof problem?

Thanks,
    DavidClick image for larger version

Name:	20150127_172609.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	87960Click image for larger version

Name:	20150127_172601.jpg
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	87961
    Last edited by david10708; 01-28-2015, 12:12 PM.

Do you have a bath fan thats not vented in that area, And its hard to tell but that looks like the bottom cord on you truss and how much insulation is there over the drywall ceiling and why did they stuff insulation against the decking and close off the ventilation for the roof

Comment

I have to agree, it looks like the ventilation fan is dumping into the attic, and what makes it worse the eave vents [if it has any?] are covered with insulation. I have seen instances where it got so bad with black mold the roof deck had to be replaced,

Comment

Actually, there is a bath room exhaust fan about 3 feet on the left (It is not in the picture), connected to venting duct (insulated well), air going out from vent. roof desk in that area has no mold.

I load a new picture so that it is more clear. The black pipe is the chimney. the orange box is the mold area. It is about 1.5 ft x 1.5ft.

Pink insulation against the decking is all around the attic. So, It should be OK.

On top of the bath tub ceiling, there is about 4 inches of pink insulation, then some fluffy white insulation.
        I bought some pink insulation, (in the green box), and put it on top of the old insulation, in case the insulation is too thin. Click image for larger version

Name:	20150128_170055.jpg
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	87320

Comment

The attic space should not retain moisture if it is vented correctly, something is preventing it from exchanging the air to remove the moisture. There should be roof vents or ridge vents high in the roof, and eave vents to allow air to circulate through, without ciculation, the moisture stays, sometimes the eave vents get covered by insulation and prevent this ciculation.

Comment

There is a conflicting view of frost in attic. But I could not find any big attic bypass in my case. I just sealed the chimney area. (side note, it seems this area is a popular spot for mouses. I saw the pink insulation had a big hole on it and mouse dropping is in the area, i guess it might be warmer comparing to other area).

The forum won't allow to put url, but if googling "frost in attic", the second result "houseinsulation" web site has the details.

Comment

It seems sealing the chimney pipe attic bypass (the black pipe) works. I checked the attic today and the area is nice and dry. No icicle on any nail tips either.

Comment

Thats good news, the "chimney pipe attic bypass" is it the plumbing vent? or something to do with a chimney, like in a fireplace or stove, its a term I am not familiar with,

Comment

I am sorry for the confusion. It sealed the attic bypass. In my case, the spot where the black pipe (i guess it is chimney) passes through the bathroom ceiling. I also put insulating foam sealant at the board joints underneath the attic insulation foam.

Comment

It does look like it's due to the ventilation fan. And before it gets worse you should get it repaired or else it can cause serious damage to your roof. I had a similar problem in the previous home where I was staying on rent. I had been complaining to the home owner from the day I spotted the mold but he payed no heed. Gradually it increased and the roof had to be replaced by Empire Roofing Corporation in Toronto. They also do ventilation, so maybe you can check with them to find out what is the exact cause of trouble.

Comment

Yea, check your attic venting. Maybe soffits are damaged too.

Comment

Originally posted by david10708 View Post
                        I noticed there is big patch of mold inside my roof. There is no mold anywhere else in the attic. The area is just right above the main bath room's bath tub. Since the bath tub has lower ceiling comparing to other part of the bath room, in the attic, I can see the thick red insulation under the white insulation in that area. So, I am sure it is the place.

I noticed the mold since year 2011. the mold is only between the two beams. I checked the roof and could not see obvious leak.

The pictures were taken yesterday with attic temperature around -9 celcius. It is very cold. There was no snow on the roof.

In one of the pictures, i can see a layer of frost on the wood. Again, that layer of frost only exists in that area. This area is facing north. you can see icicle on the tip of the nail, in other areas on the north side of this site, almost all nails has such icicle. But on the south side of the house, no such icicle.

The house was built in 2001 and I bought it in 2009.

Just want to know what the problem could be. Is it roof problem?

Thanks,
                        David[ATTACH=CONFIG]2722[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2723[/ATTACH]
                        We live in a Victorian end terrace and are DIY novices.
                        Last year we had the loft boarded and insulation all replaced (done by recommended tradespeople).
                        I’ve now noticed white mould on the roof beams. A quick online search suggests this is caused by condensation.
                        I’m happy to buy the products needed to clean all the beams myself.
                        My worry is
                        a) could the work we had done be causing this?
                        b) how do we stop it coming back?
                        c) is this something I should be really concerned about or common in old houses?

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =