• Show
Clear All

• Threading pipe for pipe clamps

This is the pipe clamp I have.
    WebRep

currentVote

noRating
    noWeight

Is there an easy way to cut threads into pipe so I can make a variety of lengths for differnt sized clamps ( pipes)?

thanks
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

The threads are I.P. threads [iron pipe] and you will need "dies" to cut them, 3/4 or 1/2 inch, you can have them cut at the hardware store or big box store plumbing department, on the pipe purchased, or buy your own pipe threading dies and handle kit, expensive tools usually, or the inferior, but cheaper HF variety, that should do the occasional use quite well

Comment

Originally posted by akaothermick View Post
      The threads are I.P. threads [iron pipe] and you will need "dies" to cut them, 3/4 or 1/2 inch, you can have them cut at the hardware store or big box store plumbing department, on the pipe purchased, or buy your own pipe threading dies and handle kit, expensive tools usually, or the inferior, but cheaper HF variety, that should do the occasional use quite well
      thank you... its called a pipe threading die and handle kit.....thanks....I hate HF but I will take up your recommendation for the ocsisional use...

Comment

RIDGID is usually the make for pipe threading dies. You can get cheap ones from harbor freight but the TPI [threads per inch] isn't consistent. The casting that holds the die will crack [cheep cast iron]

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          RIDGID is usually the make for pipe threading dies. You can get cheap ones from harbor freight but the TPI [threads per inch] isn't consistent. The casting that holds the die will crack [cheep cast iron]
          I wish I would have seen this but just bought this from EBAY...5pc Pipe Threader Tool with Ratchet Handle Dies | eBay

i hope it is OK for occaisional use.

thanks

Comment

You couldn't buy the Ridgid handle for $39.95. Let us know if they work for you.

Comment

I really hate buying POS tools and even worsr tools from HF unless it was a hammer or some non-precision tool but seems almost everything we buy comes from over there anyway thanks
              Originally posted by Speedbump View Post
              You couldn't buy the Ridgid handle for $39.95. Let us know if they work for you.

Comment

Rigid are the best, and they are the ones in my arsenal, but unless you plan on going into the plumbing and pipefitting trade, overkill for making pipe lengths for pipe clamps, check your local CL for used ones.

Comment

I checked CL straight away and found ones that looked like they came from a MAD MAX movie.....

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =