Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I "dismantle" my freezer???

I realize that this isn't the most common question to ask, but I want to do it the easiest way possible. There is a part of my basement that the prior home owners did an add-on to the house and inside is a large chest freezer. Looks like they built it around it, but now that I have the home and after a couple of years of use, it finally gave out. There is no possible way to get it through the basement door without destroying the door and wall due to it's size. How do I break it apart in pieces that can be removed one at a time through the doorway? Was thinking since it has four sides, that would be four, then the lid and bottom, to make six altogether. I am not a demo expert, but feel that this is the ONLY way to remove it in order for me to take it to the scrapyard. Anyone ever had to do this? Suggestions, comments? Anything will help at this point.

Any appliance that contains a refrigerant a scrapyard cannot legally accept unless it has a EPA sticker/ certificate that it has been evacuated in a approved manner, I suggest you get it pumped down first before dismantling, also to save yourself from getting injured from the escaping refrigerant if you cut into it.

Comment

Have the refrigerant evacuated first!

Originally posted by akaothermick
      Any appliance that contains a refrigerant a scrapyard cannot legally accept unless it has a EPA sticker/ certificate that it has been evacuated in a approved manner, I suggest you get it pumped down first before dismantling
      I agree!

I don't have any recommendations on how to go about cutting the cabinet but I would suggest the least number of cuts as possible. Remove the lid first of course.

JMO

Dan O.
      Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 02-20-2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =