Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add a 220 breaker?

Does this breaker box look like i can add a 220 breaker if I move one of the 110 to the other side.
    Attached Files

They sell tandem breakers that combine 2 breakers in the space of 1, which can free up space for added circuits. If you need more room they might help.

Comment

why would you need another 240 breaker? you're already feeding the panel with a two pole breaker?
      Is this a sub panel? If so, the bonding jumper screw for the neutral should be removed and an auxillary ground strip installed with an equipment ground rod/cable installed. all bare copper wires go to the aux ground bar.
      Last edited by HayZee518; 02-20-2015, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
        why would you need another 240 breaker? you're already feeding the panel with a two pole breaker?
        Is this a sub panel? If so, the bonding jumper screw for the neutral should be removed and an auxillary ground strip installed with an equipment ground rod/cable installed. all bare copper wires go to the aux ground bar.
        Looking to add room to hook up a new 240 line to add an electric heater to my garage. It is a sub panel fed from my house out to the garage.

I have added new breakers and lines before but I am a little confused by what you are saying. Not the most knowledgeable about breaker boxes here, just the basics. The panel was like this when i moved in. I only added 1 new breaker to add a few more outlets in the garage.

Comment

not most home owners know about the electrical code. ok, so what you have is a sub panel. you mentioned moving a single pole device to the other side to free up an additional space. looking at the photo, there is no stab onto which to plug in the breaker. so what you'll need is two tandem breakers. remove two standard breakers and plug in the tandems. this will free up two spaces. now you'll have room for a two pole breaker for the heater.
          looks like a GE panel or a Challenger panel judging from the breaker(s)

Comment

So what you're saying is to remove 2 breakers and replace them with tandems. Then wire the 2 existing lines into one of the tandems and the 240 into the other tandem. You are the expert so is this safe and up to code? Do they wire the up the same way? Does this panel have enough juice to handle it? Would you ahbe any specs on what breakers I would need? Here is another pic and more info on the ground and neutral wires?Click image for larger version

Name:	1424565772481-296903927.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	87332
            Last edited by Jtfoxman77; 02-21-2015, 07:48 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

adding a two pole breaker

Here is the stock number for a tandem square D breaker - QO 2-20 Amp Single-Pole Tandem Circuit Breaker
              This is available from Home Depot. You may as well pick up a two pole breaker for your heater.
              the attached file will give you some idea how to wire the panelClick image for larger version

Name:	tandem.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	87333
              The following is the stock code for the double 20
              QO 20 Amp Two-Pole Circuit Breaker
              Last edited by HayZee518; 02-22-2015, 07:56 AM.

Comment

YES, there is room to move a breaker from one side to the other to free up two spaces. Twin breakers are NOT necessary to do what you propose.
                That silver bar with the brown goo on it clearly is the buss and it is an open space on both sides of the panel.

I worry more that the panel is being fed by pretty small wire (looks like #8 or #6) so adding an electric heater could overload the capacity of that panel with other things running.

What size is the feeder breaker to the panel?
                What heater are you thinking about using?

Comment

100 breaker
                  No sure of the heater.
                  Just trying to figure out my best least expensive options here. Electric heat or a monitor heater.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtfoxman77 View Post
                    100 breaker
                    No sure of the heater.
                    Just trying to figure out my best least expensive options here. Electric heat or a monitor heater.
                    That breaker on top may be a 100A, but what is feeding this panel? What size breaker and wire?
                    If you don't know the size of the heater it's hard to tell you if it will be OK.

I can tell you, a Monitor heater will cost more to install, but FAR less to run. And you won't have to worry if there is enough power in that sub-panel.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =