Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE WLSR3000G0WW Washing Machine stopped spinning

Washing machine stopped spinning and agitating the other night. Checked the belt and pulley and the pressure switch hose. All were fine. I tried resetting the motor and made sure the knob was seated correctly with the timer. The machine will run through its whole cycle but will not spin at all. Fills and drains fine. The one thing I did notice is that the machine will run through the cycle, but not spin, even with the lid open. I'm wondering if that switch would cause the motor not to kick in and spin the tub. Anyone no how to test this switch and how hard it is to replace if it turns out this is the issue. The timer was replaced about 2yrs ago so I don"t think its that, but you never know.

stopped spinning AND agitating

stopped spinning and agitating
    Was the motor running or making any sounds when the washer should have been agitating or spinning? (The pump has its own, separate motor)

I tried resetting the motor
    What exactly do you mean by that?

not spin, even with the lid open. I'm wondering if that switch would cause the motor not to kick in
    A malfunctioning lid switch will definitely stop the main motor from running during the spin function as a safety precaution. It quite possibly would also prevent the motor from operating during agitation depending on how your particular model was designed to operate. That latter safety precaution was added to newer washer designs.

The lid switch is magnetically activated with the magnet portion attached to the lid, the switch under the top. Maybe something happened to one or the other component?

The lid switch should be able to be tested for continuity while in the presence of the lid magnet's effects.

LINK > How do I test for continuity?

You can see part pics and videos of replacing those components at the following links.

LINK > GE Washer Lid Switch

LINK > GE Washer Lid Switch Magnet

The timer was replaced about 2yrs ago so I don"t think its that, but you never know.
    I wouldn't suggest you jump to that conclusion just because it was replaced at some time in the past (regardless of how long) but the timer is less likely to be the cause of your reported symptoms than other things.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 03-09-2015, 03:35 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Was the motor running or making any sounds when the washer should have been agitating or spinning?
      Not that i could hear. Just the pump I believe.

What exactly do you mean by [I tried resetting the motor]?
      GE has a procedure to follow to reset. By unplugging and waiting. Nothing fancy.

Going to try to check for continuity, may be tough. The 2 wires leading from the switch go off in different directions. One goes to the control panel and 1 runs down to the motor. The one going to the panel is the power and the 1 running to the motor tells the motor its ok to run.

My manual says there is a light on the circuit board that you can read codes from but I don't see any light on the board at the motor. Or if there is something you have to do to make it flash.

Is there a way to bypass the switch to get some wash done? This will also tell me if the switch is bad. If it is bad i can not get 1 for a few days. Appliance store has to order it.
      Last edited by Dan O.; 03-10-2015, 01:51 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Had to splice into both wires about 6" from the switch itself to get a OHM reading and got nothing. No change in OHMs at all.

UPDATE
        Discovered the correct way to check the ohms on this machine and got a reading of around 1. So the lid switch is good.
        Last edited by Jtfoxman77; 03-09-2015, 06:46 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

I don't see any light on the board at the motor. Or if there is something you have to do to make it flash.
          I don't have much experience with that washer design to say but I don't think so. I found this statement about that on the Internet:
          If there is no lite flashing then you will want to check the thermal fuse that is in the wiring at the right corner of the unit. Test the thermal fuse WH49X10055 for continuity. If there is no continuity then it is bad and would need to be replaced. If it checks ok then check the motor for power and if there is power to the motor then the motor WH20X10093 is faulty and would need to be replaced.
          I also found a PDF of the WH49X10055 fuse kit's installation instructions which might help?

LINK > WH49X10055 Installation Instructions (Adobe Acrobat PDF)

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 03-10-2015, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =