Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water poured from my freezer - ice maker problem

I was out when my daughter noticed water pouring from our freezer all over the kitchen. I zipped home and turned off the water line behind the fridge. Once cleaned up I turned the water supply on again and there was no water pouring anymore BUT the ice maker no longer does anything. I replaced the motor and still nothing happens. The water dispenser still works perfectly but the ice maker does nothing. The ON/OFF switch is on but no light shows beside it.

Should I replace another part? Which one?

More information required?

What make and exact model of appliance is this??

FORUM NOTICE > Please include Make and Model # in post

Water poured from my freezer - ice maker problem
    Are you certain the water was coming from the icemaker? Is there evidence of excessive ice in the icemaker after the occurrence?

I replaced the motor and still nothing happens.
    What motor are you referring to?

Should I replace another part? Which one?
    I don't suggest people replace parts just on a guess. If you can't determine the problem with at least some certainty, I suggest you call in a professional to find the cause. But if you provide the information requested, we may be able suggest things to look into further.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

It's a Kitchen Aid KSRS27IKSS01 and I replaced theWhirlpool W10190935 Motor for Refrigerator Icemaker. Yes, I am certain it was pouring from the ice maker. There was water splashed all throughout the freezer from the ice maker down.

Comment

Electronic eye?

The ON/OFF switch is on but no light shows beside it.
        Power to the icemaker is discontinued when the door is open. Your model looks to use an infrared 'electronic eye' sensor in the freezer walls to detect that door opening along with detect ice cube production. The sensor should have a flapper mechanism to detect when the door is closed. Has anyone manually closed that flapper to see if the power light then comes on?

If that is not the cause there might be a problem in the infrared emitter and receiver mechanism boards as they frequently fail. That failure however probably has nothing to do with the icemaker malfunction unless the flooding somehow shorted the switch mechanism. It certainly didn't cause the flooding.

LINK > Infrared Emitter and Receiver Control Board Kit (incl. installation video)

If power IS getting to the icemaker but it is just not filling, the fill tube that goes through the rear of the cabinet to the icemaker may have frozen closed and need to be thawed. That however would not affect any lights nor operation of the icemaker. The I/M would still go though the motions but just without ice.

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 03-11-2015, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I had this problem several years ago and had a Sears repair tech take a look at it. He told me a particular valve in the water line was bad and fixed it. It opens and closes based on demand to the ice maker. My freezer nearly filled up with water on that deal by the way. Quite a surprise when I opened the door. Like your's, it was a side by side. later another problem developed and required replacing the ice maker completely which I declined to do. I didn't trust the ice maker and water issue anymore and turned the water off to the ice maker and water dispenser. I froze ice cubes the old way. That continued for a few years and I replaced the frig last year with another side by side.

Comment

I also faced the same problem once 5 years back

Comment

Working...
            X
            =