Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burner won't light, pilot lit

My stove has a burner that's been reluctant to light occasionally for a while, now not at all.

• Occidental 4 burner with broiler and timer, probably 1950's?
    • Two burners each side share a pilot.
    • The rear burner lights normally
    • The front burner does not seem to draw the flame of the pilot; gas smell.
    • If lit with a flame, front burner works normally.
    • I've used this stove for the 20 years I've owned this house, all 4 burners working.

What I've tried:
    • Cleaning the holes in the burner outer right
    • Cleaning holes in the center tiny burner (sim setting)
    • Cleaning holes seen in the inlet which are near the burner side of the tube that brings the flame from the pilot.

It's not entirely clear to me how this system works.

Ideas of things to try? Thanks,

It's not entirely clear to me how this system works.
    When turned on, gas flows out of the burner head down the 'flash tube' to the pilot where it is ignited. That flame then travels back down the flash tube to ignite the burner.

It would have to be looked into to determine what is causing your particular problem. I would think either no, or too little, gas is escaping into the flash tube or some sort of blockage in that flash tube has to be responsible.

NOTE: Do NOT use a toothpick to clean burner gas ports as splinters can be left behind. Try a dental brush instead.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 03-19-2015, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the splinter tip.

It does act like the flame isn't getting drawn in. The flash tube might have two parts, and if it had a leak maybe there's not enough velocity to draw the flame, or blocked in some way I can't see. I'll check the flash tube again.

BTW- part of the system I don't understand are the adjustable, swinging plates that cover/uncover a cast iron part near the burner level control stem. These can't be open to gas, but it sure looks like they are. There are also various air passages all around the burner support, for what, I don't know. For example the central, tiny sim burner looks like it has a different gas pathway than the main burner. Or not?

Thanks!

Comment

those plates are there to mix the nat gas with air for the flame pattern.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =