Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Leveling areas on my garage floor

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    melonville, virginia.
    Posts
    300
    Thanks {vb:rawphrase post_thanks_given 
    5
     Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Leveling areas on my garage floor

    Some times when I make projects that require components to be square, they would turn out lopsided or wobble as in lets say a box or frame.

    How aggravating. Until I read something someone said in a post , "may be your floor or surface wasn't as level or flush as you thought it was."

    With that said, IS there a way to make an area in my work shop flat? I got out the flat edge and there are only a few places that I can place a frame maybe 16 x 20 where it is flat...there may be other areas but for the most part it is an undulating nightmare for my purpose, one that you'd never notice unless you had a special mission....


    thanks in advance....
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Saint Regis Falls, NY, USA.
    Posts
    8,740
    Thanks {vb:rawphrase post_thanks_given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    484
    Thanked in
    470 Posts
    for boxes or cabinets you measure from corner to corner and then the opposite corner[s] to check for square. if the dimensions measure the same the box is square. if not then you jerk around with the other corner to bring them into square. how much area are we talking about for your garage floor? how much space between the floor and your straight edge?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    melonville, virginia.
    Posts
    300
    Thanks {vb:rawphrase post_thanks_given 
    5
     Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    millimeters...enough to make something wobble. enough to make the straight edge wobble. It is impercieveable unless looking for it and disastrous after the glue dries.... A square yard would be awesome to have flat....perhaps a way to grind the garage floor down with a machiine of sorts much like a floor sander for concrete if there is such a thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by HayZee518 View Post
    for boxes or cabinets you measure from corner to corner and then the opposite corner[s] to check for square. if the dimensions measure the same the box is square. if not then you jerk around with the other corner to bring them into square. how much area are we talking about for your garage floor? how much space between the floor and your straight edge?
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,895
    Thanks {vb:rawphrase post_thanks_given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    163
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Floor leveler, it's a Portland product. Mix it up on the runny side and pour it onto the area you want level, it's self leveling especially if you make it runny. Be careful though it starts to set up quick so DON'T play with it as it's setting up.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    melonville, virginia.
    Posts
    300
    Thanks {vb:rawphrase post_thanks_given 
    5
     Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hi,

    i used some of that when laying some tile downstairs.....I want to have a bit more control over the process.....Do they make a floor grinder for concrete?
    Quote Originally Posted by pushkins View Post
    Floor leveler, it's a Portland product. Mix it up on the runny side and pour it onto the area you want level, it's self leveling especially if you make it runny. Be careful though it starts to set up quick so DON'T play with it as it's setting up.
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,895
    Thanks {vb:rawphrase post_thanks_given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    163
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Yes, they do make a concrete grinder, often you'll see city works department using them to take the edges off lifted sections of sidewalks as it's cheaper to grind a trip hazard away then to dig up and replace sections of concrete. You might be able to find one for rental at big rental companies
    You could always just get a concrete honing disk at attach to your own angle grinder and do it yourself, but if your after a whole garage floor a much bigger machine would do a quicker and better job.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    melonville, virginia.
    Posts
    300
    Thanks {vb:rawphrase post_thanks_given 
    5
     Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    AWESOME! After assembling some hive boxes last year and they coming out really crappy after all the work I put in to them I found that the assembly surface was uneven......this is great! THANK YOU
    Quote Originally Posted by pushkins View Post
    Yes, they do make a concrete grinder, often you'll see city works department using them to take the edges off lifted sections of sidewalks as it's cheaper to grind a trip hazard away then to dig up and replace sections of concrete. You might be able to find one for rental at big rental companies
    You could always just get a concrete honing disk at attach to your own angle grinder and do it yourself, but if your after a whole garage floor a much bigger machine would do a quicker and better job.
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •