Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• telephone connection question

I abandoned my land line but my internet service provider was the same so I have the same company still. My vintage wallphone continued to have a dial tone. When I had an internet problem the technician came out and fixed things. After that the vintage phone was silent (ok no problem). Since then, I have been using only one jack for my computer and the computer phone and the modem all in the same room. I recently wanted to move the modem etc. to another roomand discovered none of the other jacks worked any more and upon following the lines to the outside grey box I find that all the lines are still there but disconnected. Can I reconnect one of them? How would I do it?

the only two lines you need are the red and the green which are called tip and ring. the yellow and black are for ground and accessories [dont use them]

Comment

Thank you.I opened the NID box and inside I find 2 side-by-side (what look like)cartridges. Inside the somewhat larger one is 2 plastic covered adjustable screws green beneath the red. Wires from overhead come into cartridge. Orange and white. The wires coming into the other are white and blue.
      The other cartridge is where the inhouse wires are connected. The wires slip into neat see-thru colorcoded plastic tabs that clamp shut onto the wires. There are 4 of these tabs. 2 over 2. One clamps onto the wires to the jack that works. slipped the disconnected red and green wires into the tab left of it. No connection in the house so I tried going to the tab below the working one. Using an old corded phone I plugged into the jack, it produced some kind of connection, a click and a very faint voice reciting a telephone number that I didn't recognize. But that jack connection would not make an internet connection to the modem. Do you have any input for me, please. I took pictures but I guess I can't include them. I'm a newbie.

Comment

red to red, green to green. the cable they used is like a cat 5 cable hence the orange/white-orange and white/blue - blue. the modem dials out on the red/green circuit - you probably got a 56K modem.

Comment

Yes, I do understand about the correct wire to wire. That's what I did but it didn't make a connection. Thanks. I guess I'll have to call the telephone guy to come out.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =