Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life span of copper and galvanized pipe?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life span of copper and galvanized pipe?

What is the life span of copper tubing and galvanized pipe in a home? I've taken out bits of galvanized pipe and replaced it with PVC, and found that the inside of the galvanized pretty well closing up from inside. I also have some copper lines that are about 25 years old, should I replace them.

Thanks

Fuelm@n ô¿ô

Galvanized has a lot shorter like span than copper. Your copper pipes are probably just fine.

T

Comment

Fuelm@n,I've been around some old copper piping but have never changed any due to it wearing out,now some sweated joints[sweating copper --> is the technique that plumbers use to solder the joints together] may start to leak over time depending on how well it was sweated and/or pipe stress,If your joints are all good I'd say keep what you have,if a joint starts to leak you can re-sweat the copper fitting,although sweating tees,and elbows are a tedious process because as your sweating one side the other may come loose.
      If you run into that,I'd highly recommend the "genova fittings" you can attache it to your copper pipe and run pvc/cpvc there on out,it works by using a compression fitting and its almost too simple.

I'd recommend getting all the steel /or galvainzed pipe out you have access to and replace it with PVC or CPVC for hot water,I don't know the life span of schedule 40 galvanized Pipe when used for water,assuming its no thicker than that,I'd say thats standard piping.I've seen some regular steel pipe thats been in use for like 40-50 years or even longer but when it gets that old your almost waiting on disaster.Steel pipe will give you good service, but its life span will vary depending on the pipe stress,how it was installed[thread depths] what type of temperature ranges did it see [an example; was it at risk of freezing in the winter],believe it or not I've seen some pipes that crack in its seam ,like the steel had some impurities in it,and a host of many others.

Comment

Thanks for the great advise.

Now I have one other question, how well does PVC do over years?

Thanks,

Fuelm@n

Comment

Hi, I have never replaced PVC or Cpvc due to it wearing out,or seen any wear in it in sections I've replaced[In a industrial setting].
          Glad to help

Comment

Working...
          X
          =