Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milgard vs Ply Gem Windows and doors

I am replacing a sliding glass door and a garden window (both S facing) on my home and have received two slightly differing opinions from two installers re: the brands. I am curious to know if there is anyone out there who might be able to help me decide between the two options. They price out very similarly so really it seems to come down to whether one has something really noteworthy that the other does not. Here's what I know:

Re: garden windows

Each company only makes one. There is no series difference (even though when I look at ply-gem's website it shows a "pro" series and a "builder's" series etc). That is according to one installer.
    The other installer informed me that ply-gem's is the only way to go because they make their own frame in house, whereas every other company uses the same frame kit and puts their own glass and finishing touches on it but the workmanship is not necessarily as good because of that. Milgard has a glass shelf, Ply-Gem has a powder coated steel rack.

Re: Sliding glass door

Ive been quoted the Tuscany series from Milgard, and the Pro series 960 from Ply Gem. Milgard has a handle with a lock built in so the entire handle is used to lock/unlock the door. Ply-Gem has what I would consider the traditional slide lock that is separate from the handle. Otherwise stylistically they look the same.

Re: warranty - Milgard has a lifetime warranty that will also transfer to another owner (limited to 10years from install), which may be desirable as this is not our dream home and we won't be living here forever. It also includes glass breakage. Ply-Gem does not have glass breakage included and although it does have a lifetime warranty that can transfer, it includes 20 years from install on materials, and 5 on labor.

So-- is there a big difference in brand quality?? If I needed any warranty work does one have a better reputation than the other? Thoughts? Would appreciate any constructive feedback!
Working...
X
=