Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water under the AC unit

Good Morning
    I saw some water under my AC cooling unit in the garage so I replaced the filter. Is there anything else I need to do before asking a pro to come over to check the gas amount? Should I monitor it for a bit? About two years ago they added gas. I am not sure if it was Freon; I believe industry is switching to some other type? Please let me know if I should post a picture.
    Sean

Water is condensed from humid air on the evaporator coil which is normal although the unit should drain it to the outside through drain holes and a slight tilt of the unit towards the exterior, sounds like the unit is working so no need to add more refrigerant, if it is not cooling like it used too that would indicate the need for service.

Comment

Originally posted by akaothermick View Post
      Water is condensed from humid air on the evaporator coil which is normal although the unit should drain it to the outside through drain holes and a slight tilt of the unit towards the exterior, sounds like the unit is working so no need to add more refrigerant, if it is not cooling like it used too that would indicate the need for service.
      Thanks; the comments I get here really help me address the repair issues in my house effectively.

Comment

for some units it is normal to drain water because of condensate. some units have a "slinger" on the condenser fan. this is used to force the water over the condenser coils to cool it off. compressor sweating is normal on the suction "larger" line.

Comment

Thanks. During the last few days I let the unit rest; I turned the AC off and just let the fan run. I also changed the filter. Someone told me this would melt any possible ice inside. I then turned the AC on, and the house is nice and cool. However, I don't the the water drain from the pipe meant for draining the water. Instead it runs from the bottom of the unit. I have enclosed a picture. Someone told me the pipe gets clogged with gunk. They told me to tap it with screw driver or something, and see if it released. I did that but I don't see the pipe working. Can I / should I open the panel, and what should I do before it? Should I just turn off electricity to the garage? Or should I just get an AC person come over, and clean the drain. I tried to twist the drain pipe, but it is glued in place it seems.Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_205657.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	87340
          Attached Files
          Last edited by sansari; 05-17-2015, 08:19 PM.

Comment

that plastic piece to the left of the drain looks like a screw in plug. remove this. you should be able to clean out what ever is in there. question does the drain line hook into your house drain plumbing or is it just positioned over a floor drain? if the exit piping just sits over a floor drain or even a french drain, why do you need the trap? the trap is used just to prevent sewer gases from entering the living spaces.

Comment

The plastic plug to the left is the upper drain port that was never hooked up, there are two drain ports, one for a backup, upper and lower, yours was plugged. The Tee with the capped riser is your clean out port, the cap should come of and clean from there, pull the evaporator cover and clean out the condensate tray and vacuum the evaporator coil it is probably dirty too, carefully with a brush vacuum nozzle, but do it dry don't run the AC a few hours prior to cleaning or its a slimy job

Comment

I opened it up, and took a picture of what I saw. I think I found out what is the cause. The plastic trap under the coils is broke on one side, and water leaks to the bottom.
                I also think the unit is missing some sort of trap between the upper and lower part. What do you guys think? Here are a couple of pictures. Do you think I replace the plastic trap myself? Would home depot have it?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20150519_035841.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	87341Click image for larger version

Name:	20150519_035847.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	87342
                Last edited by sansari; 05-19-2015, 03:25 AM.

Comment

if you go to the big box store, see if you can find something similar and point THAT out to the salesperson, then order one.

Comment

Do you think the picture I attached last is missing anything? I did not remove anything from my AC; just the front panel. I also want to ask how easy it is to install please. Do you think I can do it by myself? What is the name of the part? Would it be a water trap or something?

Comment

That would be the condensate tray, knowing the manufacturer of your unit you could get a replacement, but removing and installing is a little complicated, try a field repair with something like JB Weld epoxy, it could work and save the trouble.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =