Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stinky bathroom...

...and not for the reason you would assume.

We have a two story colonial with a full bath on the second floor and a half bath on the bottom floor. We've noticed that after we use the full bath, especially after taking a shower, it smells awful in there. It's this weird sewage-trash smell but it's pretty horrible.

We don't think it's the septic (but we're open to being wrong) because:
    - No wet spots or smell in the yard
    - No backups in any drains
    - Not smelling it anywhere else in the house
    - We had the distribution box inspected before purchasing and the inspector happened to be the guy who installed it (it was a new one installed 3-4 years ago) and told us that in the process of installation he got a good look at our septic and despite it's age (~20 years) it's in great shape

Based on limited Internet research I suspect that we have an issue with our vent, but curious that it's only really affecting one bathroom. One thing I want to point out is that the sink in the stinky bathroom does get a slow drain after it runs for about 10-15 seconds. In other words, runs totally fine for a bit and then eventually starts backing up and slowly drains. Because of this another thought we had was that maybe whatever is clogging the sink is causing the stink if it's deep in the wall, but not sure if that's really tied to the smell happening after showering.

Anyways, I know we will need a professional to diagnosis the issue, but would like to be informed a bit before we call and ask for help. Anyone have some thoughts on what this could be? What should I ask to have done to figure it out? Is the sink clog relevant?

the soil pipe vent or septic tank vent goes from the drain or septic line in - up through the roof and two feet above the roof line to atmosphere. at each toilet fixture is a sanitary T 4X4X4 or 3X3X3. The toilet elbow may have a side inlet for the shower/tub drain and the lavatory sink drain. The tub should have its own trap downstream from the tub and the same with the sink. now if there is a clog at the T water will be slow in draining. you need air to allow water to drain properly. take the toilet off the second floor and snake the elbow to the drain line.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =