Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Door

I have a back door that I would like to build a roofed overhang above it. I have a basic idea but am open to other alternatives.
    My idea is to build a rectangle and fasten it to the studs and sleepers above the door. Along the sides I need to brace it against static loads and the snow and ice that will eventually slide off the larger roof onto it. Where do I apply the angle braces? 1/3rd out? approx center?
    AND the roof proper - a simple roof like what would go over a dormer or some other design.

A simple roof would be a cantilever style with two side braces at 45 degrees back to the house on either side of the door where the studs are this is kinda common for side entrances or quick and easy door protection.
    Another option would be two posts out as far as you like and build a small gable over the top, this is a much better looking entrance roof.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	87348
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Don't know why it turned the picture sideways it's the right way up in my folder, Anyway this was the Mother In Laws revised (bigger) edition of what she wanted. You could go much smaller if you wanted. FYI this one cost a total of $800 in materials including paint, lumber, shingles the whole package.

Comment

what you have pictured is what I have in mind. I will need to go with side braces because it is on the driveway side. the inside of where the overhang is going to go is open, so I know where the studs and sleepers are. This is the structure me and a friend built back in 2000. What do you think of this. I take the stringer that goes onto the house and cut a notch on both ends. I cut a similar notch on the ends that go away from the house but fit butt end into the other notches on the house. brace the outer ends and secure the ends with a log screw fastener. the outer 2x6 fits inside the two outer pieces and are screwed and glued together. the remainder of the framing consists of a vertical member underneath a ridge pole [very short one] with 2x6 rafters coming off the ridge with a birds mouth cutout.

Comment

I'm not following your description of what your planning, a stringer is used for stairs

Comment

sorry bout my description of that first horizontal board - called a LEDGER BOARD. I'll make a notch at the ends, where another piece extending outwards will fit. This will come out four feet on each side to another horizontal board that'll form the front of the overhang.

Comment

No need to notch it you can just toe nail the lumber into it, double up the two ends as they are the load bearers, use simpson hanger for the double 2x's on either end they make hangers that place the joists right on the end.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =