Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking drain/vent in wall

A relative just purchased a home which is 14 years old. The problem is only when the dishwasher empties, not when sink is drained. There is a leak where the pipe comes down into the basement. There is a p-trap going out into exterior wall of kitchen below a window. The line travels over 32 inches into a tee joining the drain and vent. Drain then comes down through the sill plate into the basement down into a 2 inch line where it's also joined by a 2 inch line from the laundry room. The 2 inch line goes straight down into the basement floor and ties into sanitary drain. The problem is this tee at vent is in the wall behind the cabinetry. My thought is to remove the existing connection of p-trap where it exits through wall and cap it off. I would then turn p-trap around, put a 3.5 inch piece on into a 90 and go down through the cabinet floor into the basement. I would then run horizontally over and put a new sanitary tee into the 2 inch drain line. Does this sound like a plausible solution since the connection is in the wall? It would still be vented.

Thanks Bill

where the 32 inch piece is - is there a tee, part of which goes up in the wall to a roof vent? the other side goes down through the sill plate to another tee, one of which comes from the laundry?
    the effluent then continues to the main drain in the basement to a sanitary tee?
    that sanitary tee should be a T-Y but thats besides the point.
    your drain line gonna be 1 1/2 inch or 2 inch?

Comment

I assume there is a tee in wall up to vent otherwise I don't think they would have went to trouble of exiting through the wall. The house is only 14 yrs old. The new drain line over to the 2" vertical is going to be 1.5".
      Last edited by Bill123; 07-09-2015, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I took some measurements and found out where the line went down in the wall. It was behind the lower corner kitchen cabinet. I was able to get in the cabinet, open up the back wall of cabinet and drywall. I was right where the sink line entered the sanitary tee at the vertical drain line. I expected to find a joint which wasn't glued but that wasn't the case. Feeling around the pipe coming out of the bottom of the tee I felt a crack in pipe. I cut it off 1 1/2" below tee and 1 1/2" above elbow in the basement. I took out a 16 1/2" piece and found it cracked from one end to the other. I don't believe it was originally cracked all the way, but did so from vibration of cutting. Replaced the piece and closed everything back up. Looking inside of the removed piece I can see small cracks in other spots which didn't go all the way through. Wonder where the rest of that 10' length of ABS pipe got used?

Comment

anybodys guess. must have been the guys last run.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =