Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door installation question...

Hello all,

I am in need of advice. Without "visually thinking things through", so to speak, I purchased a garage door opener and the install was going fine until I ran into a roadblock. In order to proceed with the install I will have to cut into the beams blocking the path of the rail from the opener to the door its self (see attached pictures). I would only be cutting out a few inches in the bottom of the beams (they are three of them sandwiched together, 12x2s it looks like) in order to form an opening for the rail. So the main question becomes, is this safe to do, or am I risking damaging or weakening load bearing beams?

Any advice is appreciated.

Doug
    Attached Files

Those beams should not be notched in that location especially as it's in the middle and even more so the "few inches" you mention. Notching can be done in load bearing beams up to a 1/4 of the thickness in the first and last 1/3's but NEVER in the middle third.
    I think there is an extension are tat you can buy depending on just how far it is to the closed door.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I was about to suggest a jack shaft opener that go onto the torsion tube, but after looking closely at your pictures, it look like you have extension spring. You have absolut zero head room and as mention it is a no no to cut the beams. Another option will be side mount the operator, but again if it is extension springs they will never have the same pull and the door will bounce/walk side to side as open and close.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
        Those beams should not be notched in that location especially as it's in the middle and even more so the "few inches" you mention. Notching can be done in load bearing beams up to a 1/4 of the thickness in the first and last 1/3's but NEVER in the middle third.
        I think there is an extension are tat you can buy depending on just how far it is to the closed door.
        Okay thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Looks like I may just have to live without the opener. Even with some type of extension I'm not seeing it working out. Maybe if I put it on Craigs list I can recoup some of my cost.

Comment

Quite interesting. When I personally have problems I always call an expert instead of attempting to do it myself and risking to mess everything up..

Comment

Pack it all up and take it back to the store and see if they will refund your money.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =