Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rental Unit need new openers with no maintenance, have had 3 diff openers and all die

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rental Unit need new openers with no maintenance, have had 3 diff openers and all die

So I used to live in the place that I am now renting out. The unit has 2 single over head doors. New springs/track/doors/head units about a year ago. I have had to replace head units about every year, have had problems as soon as 3 months after install... I have tried adjusting the stops along with the force settings.

History,

Used to have an older liftmaster head unit (chain) that used dip switches on the remote. This unit lasted a while but eventually stripped the plastic gears out in the unit. This unit was then replaced with a silent drive genie max. This unit died after about a year, had issues about 2 months after install. (unit would lift about a foot and then need to be unplugged/replugged in)

The other bay had the same liftmaster, then a silentmax, now a genie 1000. The genie units will lift the door a foot or so and then start blinking, it will also sometimes do it when closing the door. Only way to get the unit to work is to unplug power and replug. This works for about a week and then have to consistently keep unplugging/re-plugging. Called multiple different garage door shops and they said could be a bad sensor or board.

The tenant there now has one garage bay that doesn't work at all and one unit with the board/sensor issue where you have to unplug the unit.

I am very handy, used to be a commercial electrician and was a construction guy before that. I am familiar with how to adjust force and limit settings and the 3 years I was in the unit I consistently had problems with the Genie units. I do get frost heaves so I assumed that was messing with the limit settings, though the garage is concrete slab and doesn't move so I don't really see how that would happen. I have a company scheduled to come out Thursday to install a chain driven liftmaster, they said its a commercial version, not a residential unit. She said openers should last 20-25years.

I want as little issues as possible and don't mind paying for a quality unit. I know they make side openers as well. I really just want these things to last as I want to keep my tenants. I don't know what units are good and what are junk. Hoping someone here who isnt tied to a company/sponsor can help me make a good decision.

I have Legacy units in my current house with 10' doors and they work great. Is liftmaster better/worse than Legacy?

Thanks!
    Last edited by alaska_guy; 07-29-2015, 01:08 PM.

I will take a LiftMaster before a Legacy opener. We install both LiftMaster and Genie product in new homes. It's all in the contract with our builders what they get, but the one we have most warranty calls on is the Genie operator.
    The residential LiftMaster all has a plastic/nylon gear inside and yes it do wear out over time as the grease dries up, but the heavy duty chain drive operator as 8587LM has the gear boxed up and also on the DC operators has a closed gear box.
    The easier and smoother the door operates the less wear and tear on the motor it self = last longer.
    Didn't say how big your doors are, but a commercial operator on a single car door is a little over kill, but not sure what model you are getting either.

Comment

Doors in the unit are the standard 9x7' or 8x7'. I am not at the unit so I don't know off hand. I do know that the tracks, doors and openers were all new when installed. I will have the shop thursday check out the rails and angle of the door as I know that can cause some issues. I am just not sure as to why I would have to replace the units less than a year in. I mean I just had a genie unit installed 3 months ago and the tenant said it started acting up about a month after they moved in.

If I pull the latch and disconnect the door from the opener the door slides by hand freely, no binding.

Comment

The keyword is Genie. We have issues with Genie motor model 1024 and 2024 limits and remotes. Some when unplug/plug in reprogram they will work again for a short time. Lees than a year old you should have some warranty on all. Call the installer or Genie for warranty.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =