Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on old radiant heating boiler setup

I have a very old boiler setup that's original to the radiant heating system in my 1947 house. It's been pretty reliable over the years. I've had a few different plumbers and a radiant heating person out over the last 10 years to do minor fixes (eg. new thermocouple) and adjustments. Nobody that has been out has been that familiar with this old equipment.

I can't seem to post a link to my images of the setup, so I'm attaching an image with the url below. You'll have to type it in manually.

As you can see the water heater is in a rather inconvenient location.

For the boiler, the pilot light and thermocouple are being held in position via some strategically placed wires. I think there are supposed to be screws but they are long gone.

I recently had a gas leak in the back of the closet where the line comes in, and the plumber I called needed to remove both the boiler and water heater to do the repairs. Unfortunately, after hooking everything back up the boiler seemed to no longer fire up (pilot light was fine, though).

So now I'm thinking about how best to get this diagnosed/fixed. There's also safety concerns about the whole setup that I've wondered about over the years.

Any recommendations on how to find someone more familiar with this system?

Is it time to think about replacing some/all of this, and if so, what would you suggest? What are the practical options here?

My knowledge in this area is quite limited, so whatever advice you have would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cacophony; 08-02-2015, 09:28 PM.

Given the small footprint, have you considered an instant on water heater rated for in floor heating?

Comment

Working...
    X
    =