Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What bulb is this and how do I safely remove it?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What bulb is this and how do I safely remove it?

I have an overhead light fixture that has an unusual bulb in it. When it comes time to replace it I'd like to know how to remove it. I can see that it says E11, 130V, 100W but it doesn't look like the ones I see online. It is clear and I don't remember it being threaded. I made a drawing and the bottom looks like a single, rectangular prong with what may be described as 2 wings opposite each other above the prong which I believe may be called a bayonet connector. It narrows to a rounded point at the top. I believe this type of bulb should not be handled by the glass. It has probably lasted 10 years already. Can you possibly tell me how to remove it for replacement? Thank you.
    Last edited by repairsalot; 08-25-2015, 04:15 PM. Reason: added detail

what you are describing is a lighting fixture for a track light. the rectangular "sleeve" below the contact probes (looking up at the fixture) pulls back and rotates the bracket out of the track. ninety degree rotation please! inside the track embedded in the plastic insulation are two copper wires opposite each other. one is "hot" one is neutral.

Comment

Thanks, but I was wrong !!

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      what you are describing is a lighting fixture for a track light. the rectangular "sleeve" below the contact probes (looking up at the fixture) pulls back and rotates the bracket out of the track. ninety degree rotation please! inside the track embedded in the plastic insulation are two copper wires opposite each other. one is "hot" one is neutral.
      The bulb finally burned out so I took off the diffuser and on a ladder got a good look at the interior of the fixture. I was wrong. The bulb did unscrew but now I have a follow-up question. The bulb says "E11 130V 100W" on it. The fixture says "E27273 TIEN-JEN 250V 500W E-11" on it. The light switch is standard ON/OFF (not dimmable). Do I need to find a 130V E-11 100 watt replacement bulb or can it be 120V? Also, must the replacement bulb state not/non dimmable? Thanks so much for your advice.
      Last edited by repairsalot; 11-05-2015, 09:30 PM.

Comment

any INCANDESCENT bulb can be dinned. the dimmer produces a chopped dc current to the bulb.
        CFL, HALIDE, MERCURY cannot be dimmed
        FLOURESCENT can be dimmed by a special ballast.
        the numbers you see like 250 volt 500 watt are the limits the insulation of the fixture and bulb will safely pass.
        early incandescent had 120 volt for an operating range. Manufacturers increased this range to 130 because power companies have poor regulation at lower voltages.
        E11 is the bulb style, 130 is maximum volts and 100 is the wattage of the bulb.
        doesn't need to say dimmable or non-dimmable.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          the numbers you see like 250 volt 500 watt are the limits the insulation of the fixture and bulb will safely pass. E11 is the bulb style, 130 is maximum volts and 100 is the wattage of the bulb. doesn't need to say dimmable or non-dimmable.
          I just tried 2 new TopStar Type JD 100W 120V E-11 Tungsten Halogen lamps in the light fixture and neither work. Is it perhaps the light fixture itself that is no good? Thanks.

Comment

if you have a volt-ohm-meter handy, put the range to RX1 and read across the bulb terminals. should go full scale indicating continuity is ok

Comment

Working...
            X
            =