Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is preferable for an exterior door: fiberglass or steel?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is preferable for an exterior door: fiberglass or steel?

I would like to replace an old, wooden exterior door that gives access to the garage with a low-maintenance steel or fiberglass option. I know steel will eventually rust but is cheaper and won't crack. It will be facing the hot afternoon sun in the summer. Any suggestion? Thank you.

Unless a client has a small budget, we always without exception install fiberglass. They weather much better than steel, they hold paint much better. Your right the fiberglass models will cost more but in the scheme of things a good value for money upgrade, especially if the door has some exposure.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Follow-up

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      we always without exception install fiberglass. Your right the fiberglass models will cost more but in the scheme of things a good value for money upgrade, especially if the door has some exposure.
      Following up: after going back & forth with Sears, they eventually told me they don't offer fiberglass in my market so I went to Lowes. As the old door had termite damage and does have exposure I chose fiberglass. I am very pleased. I went with pre-painted, vinyl, interior molding; pre-painted fiberglass door & frame; pre-painted, PVC, exterior brickmold; and a Larson ScreenAway storm door on the outside. The new sill/threshold is impressive. Although it was basically in good condition, all the old wood that made up the frame, interior molding and exterior brickmold is gone. Thanks so much for your advice. Regards.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =