Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Telephone Wiring in Garage: What can I do with this?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telephone Wiring in Garage: What can I do with this?

I have a regular / Modern NID on the other side of the wall from this thing...it is the typical NID : Grey phone company plastic box and the wires come into the house from there....to this thing.

I want to move this or enclose it or modernize it or remove it....The telepnone lines are distributed from here....

GEEZ, I kept getting an invalid file for the above jpg or the URL....how annoying....Now the image need to be rotated to the right 90 degrees....yo get the idea right!

It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

I would start by tracing out the various cables to see where they go. One, probably with the blue & white/blue wires, goes to the NID. The others go to various phones. The black plastic thing with the 2 holes & 3 screws with nuts is a 111A telephone protector. It looks like the carbon spark gaps have been removed. Probably a protector in the NID instead. The center terminal is ground...looks like a lot of wires on it. The ground on the NID may be attached here. The white gizmo with the pins is a type-66 punch-down block...each row of pins is internally connected. Normally you use a spring-loaded tool to push the wires down, but you can use a screwdriver if you're careful. Looks like maybe only one connection on it already.
    You can probably just use the 111A as a terminal block for all the phone wires. Normally red & green are the hot wires to a phone, but I see mostly yellow & black in your picture. You want to reuse the existing colors. If you find a touch-tone that doesn't work afterwards, you have its wires reversed.

Comment

I can't wait to finish breakfast to get out there and do what you say.... I am so tired of these Frankenstein wires everywhere... I know I can come here for your help......v

Comment

Well I cut the thing in half, trimmed the fat and lost the wire nest and mounted this thing out of the way....Verizon came out and said this thing was grounded to the plumming I guess in the house and they would not update the grounding outside next to the NID....oh well. The only thing is the ground now goes from the plumbing to this block, through the wall and grounds the telco wires ( yellow and black ) as they come back in the house to the CAT5.

BOOO Verizon

Comment

Working...
        X
        =