Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic sprinkler valve problem

A rotary sprinkler would not shut off and I must have damaged the flow control screw on an old, brass sprinkler valve by trying to turn the top of the screw with the wrong tool plus I did not loosen the nut first. I did have someone shut the valve off for me and the sprinkler now works but the other 3 flow control screws are apparently fully open while this one is somewhat closed still. I cannot find any tool to turn it back to the fully open position possibly due to the flat surfaces at the top of the screw being rounded. Does it matter or will opening it up to the fully open position (if possible) allow more water to flow? Thanks for any thoughts. (I have a good photo of the valves but I for some reason I cannot upload it no matter what I try so I am guessing that "flow control screw" is the correct word for the part in question.) Thanks for any thoughts.

You have a brass valve. Just how old is this thing? I haven't seen valves made of anything but plastic for a long time.

If the corners are rounded, use pliers, channel locks or anything else with teeth that can be squeezed into the screw.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedbump View Post
      Just how old is this thing? If the corners are rounded, use pliers, channel locks or anything else with teeth that can be squeezed into the screw.
      The valves are decades old. Until I can figure out how to attach the photo, I'll have to say that what I called a flow control screw is more of a threaded cylinder with a (perhaps) 6-sided "crown" on top. As a test, I carefully tried a "metric wrench" on one of the other valves (after loosening the nut first that is located towards the bottom of the cylinder) and it easily "closed down, then opened up". Thanks for your help.

Comment

sprinkler valves look like the'ye turnable but their not what you are seeing is a bonnet that distributes water up to the ceiling and round to the floor there are two inverted V caps held in place by water pressure and a fusiblelink.
        the only ajustmant you have is the internal diameter of the fitting or the diameter of the outlet if your system is of the dry variaty

Comment

Working...
        X
        =