Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric dryer question

Hi all. I have an old electric dryer out in my garage/work space I use to warm it up out there at times, I'm pretty much sure I am not the only person on earth that uses these dryers for heat at times My question is: If I were to disconnect the drum motor..would that damage the heater part. The reason is..the drum rolling around is using more power for no useful reason, plus the noise.. I was thinking of wiring in a switch though so I can turn the motor back on if I want to per say use it as a dryer again.. It's old so I am not worried about voiding warranty issues.. Thanks

So long as the fan works, it does not matter, but a dryer? seriously, that takes up to much room, just look for a 220 shop heater on CL, a much better and compact solution for heating, the dryer should get $20 for scrap, put that towards a heater

Comment

I was thinking of wiring in a switch so I can turn the motor back on if I want to per say use it as a dryer again.
      On most domestic clothes dryers the same motor that turns the drum usually also turns the blower fan. The blower fan is usually mounted directly onto the motor. Most dryers will also not heat without the motor running, as a safety precaution.

I'd suggest you look into a dedicated space heater if needed. It is likely safer than modifying a dryer.

JMO

Dan O.
      Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
      X
      =