Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative air venting....

First floor toilet burps when second floor toilet is flushed. An unintentional (and sometimes unexpected!! bidet!). I believe both toilets are connected to the same drain to the septic tank. Admittedly not correct. The air vent for the second floor is offset from the first by 16". Also, if it's windy enough outside, the first floor water level shows the venturi effect. That tells me the vent is not clogged. So, how can I provide an air relief to alleviate the fist floor toilet burping? I considered slipping length of 3/4" garden hose to some convenient point. I'm also thinking that won't work. Any ideas?

Sounds like your first floor is wet vented by the waste stack, you need to vent the toilet separately, it vents when it is used but the second floor when it is used blocks the wet vent stack and pushes the air ahead of it into the first floor waste line, you got to cut in a vent ahead of where the first floor ties into the stack

Comment

Okay. I think I understand. I'll look at that short section from the first floor to the drain and see what's possible.
      Thanks othermick.

Comment

The first floor lav attaches to a Y. There's about 18" between the first bend and the entry to that Y. It appears there is at least one coupler in that short span, but there is enough 'flat' stock to possibly manage some relief port. Since it runs crosswise to the floor joists I have almost eight inches of room to work. I can remove/replace everything from the Y to the toilet entry to provide more uninterrupted room. But only if there's such a unit as a 3" DWV with a two inch port. Is that an approach? So, if there is, and I put that in place, how do I route from that port? It may be possible to run something up through the first wall from the basement, but would have to jog 16" at the first floor ceiling to get over to the second floor wall and then through the attic to the roof. It may all be possible to tie that vent to the second floor vent roofside of the second floor toilet. Is there a limit to how many 90* bends are in a vent? Is there a length limit for a two inch vent?

Comment

You need to place a combination 3x1.1/2 Y in the run with the outlet rotated to the highest point and a street fitting in 45 or 22 1/2 or 60 degree to direct it to where you need to run it, then inside the wall and tie it in above the second floor unit, no limit on 90s, its just air, no length limit on a vent, again its air so it wont plug, and its doesn't need 2 inch unless you want to, make sure the Y is fit so the waste doesn't flow into it, and reversed when above the second floor at the tie in point, no trapping in the vent line always rising or it could plug, if you opt to penetrate the roof with the vent increase to 3 inch to prevent hoar frost plugging in winter

Comment

Okay! That's right where I was thinking! But I like your idea of using 1 1/2 better! Yes, it will be a bit of effort, but once it's in the attic it's a piece of soup to tie in to the vent stack.
            Mick, thank you very much for the guidance on this.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =