Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conbustion fan motor question

Over the weekend my 422 shut down (Blinking burner status lights). Easily diagnosed the issue. (combustion fan motor was not turning). I have 2 working 422's in my house and I acquired a 3rd non working machine last year that I stripped for parts, so I was able to swap out the entire combustion fan assembly from the parts machine to get me back up and running in only and hour or so... Problem is the bearings on the fan motor out of the parts machine are not great (Pretty noisy but functional). Ordered some new bearings and will be installing them this weekend.

I have 2 questions
    #1 What is recommended to pull the bearings off the motor shaft.. Is there a recommended store bought tool, or a home made trick? Anything out of the ordinary I need to know, do, or watch out for, or is it as simple as pulling any other bearing?

#2 The motor that was removed does not have bearings it has the "old style" motor with the caps with little rubber plugs that can be removed to oil the packing within the cap. Problem is even after oiling the packing the shaft is still very difficult to turn. Question is can the caps on the packing style motor be upgraded to the bearing caps? Or can new caps with the packing be purchased or am I SOL and have to scrap the entire "Old Style" motor..
    Last edited by OnTheEdge; 01-18-2016, 04:30 PM. Reason: typo

You can buy a good tool for removing the bearings from Snap On. However, if you are not going to be doing a lot of them it may not be worth it to you. It's very straight forward job. I do not think you can buy new Old Style caps. In fact you are going to find it hard to buy anything for Monitor theses days. They have not made any parts for their stoves in over 5 years. Hickory Home and Gardens is one supplier as well as Ebay.

Good luck with your project.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom, Didn't think I would be able to purchase new old style caps for the combustion motor. I will likely be keeping my eyes open for another non functioning machine and continue to accumulate parts particularly the hard to find ones, they do come up on craigs list from time to time in my area for pretty short $$. As for pulling the bearings It does seem pretty strait forward and i have seen a tool on line and you are right about cost. I think I may have something in my tool box I can modify to act as a puller small enough to be used to remove the bearings if needed.. I am starting to get very familiar with the inner workings of the 422 and I must say it is a fairly basic machine and relatively easy to work on.

Comment

How did you make out with the bearing install? Is it easy? I need to do mine on my 422. Any ideas for a puller to use? I have several pullers but don't know if I have the right adapters.

Comment

Didn't need a puller to get the old ones off, a little heat on the old bearings with a heat gun and they came right off.
          Putting the new ones on was even easier. Warm the inner race of the bearing with a hair dryer or heat gun and put the arbor in the freezer for 20 or 30 mins to get it cold..
          A few things I would note:
          Be sure to use a drop of thread locker (Locktite) to help adhere the inner race of the new bearing to the arbor shaft..
          Buy good quality bearings.
          Be careful not to lose, break, bend the little C Clips that act as location stops for the bearings on the shaft.
          Last edited by OnTheEdge; 10-19-2016, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =