Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirpool Electric Dryer Won't Start... Intermittently

I have a fairly new Whirlpool Dryer. The dryer wouldn't turn on, so I replaced the starter switch which lasted about 1 week. The problem seems intermittment as it works sometimes. When I set the timer and push the start switch, I hear a very faint clicking sound, which means there is short somewhere? Any ideas on any other fixes or anything else I should try?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Dan O.; 02-23-2016, 12:39 PM. Reason: Made more descriptive title

More information required

I have a fairly new Whirlpool Dryer.
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number from the appliance's model and serial number identification tag:

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

When I set the timer and push the start switch, I hear a very faint clicking sound, which means there is short somewhere?
    No it does not.

If you post the appliance's model number we can look it up to see what components it has which might be responsible for your symptoms to offer suggestions.

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan O.- It is an electric dryer Model # WED4815EW0.

Let know what you think.

Thanks.

Comment

Dryer motor failure?

Yours is a pretty simple dryer design with no electronic controls which might be responsible for intermittent problems.

The only things I see that could prevent motor operation is a problem in the start switch or the motor. Since you said you replaced the switch in an attempt to correct the problem, that would point to the motor itself as the most likely cause. The sound you hear may be power getting to the motor but it not running or just from the start switch relay.

There's a slim chance there might be lint, etc. clogging the motor, hampering the movement of the motor's start switch (on the end of the motor) or maybe the belt putting too much strain on the motor but a dryer motor failure is very common on all ages of dryers, even within the first year and under warranty. :/

LINK > Whirlpool WED4815EW0 Dryer Motor

JMO

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =