Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shallow well issue...

It may be a compromised pump. I bought a new one and (Go ahead and holler at me....) failed to open the vale to the house. Pump was running for several hours. VERY, VERY hot! So...I let it cool down. Then replaced all fittings and check valve between the well and pump. Started it today and it pumped two gallons in one minute. Should be three times that. So...did I damage the pump? Or....is the well not able to supply the water? The measure came from a garden hose directly connected to the outlet port of the pump. Should I spring for a new pump and try that???

There are lots of variables in your scenario Captain Bob. Do you know the water level in the well, or the difference in elevation from the water level to the inlet of the pump?
    What brand pump? What horsepower? What kind of pipe and fittings? If plastic fittings, did they shrink from the heat and leak?

Comment

Variable removal....

Thanks, Speedbump. I pulled the pump and set it by the creek. It's clear, spring fed and COLD! The pump did as it should. Checked the well and it's dry!! Huh! well....how 'bout that?!! So. now it's on to plan B.

Comment

the number of pump stages are the number of input - effluent impellers on a common shaft, not individual motors. boy you must've been sucking water out of the sand! so now you know the pump isn't at fault. I'm curious about plan B. just for ha-ha's I wonder, if the creek is spring fed, I wonder what the bacteria and coliform readings are. just maybe you could use this as your source of water. beats drilling another well.

Comment

Well if the pump didn't have water in it, it wouldn't have melted the impeller. So it should work from the spring.

Comment

It got hooked up to the creek today. Discharge is through about a hundred foot piece of 1" poly. LOTS of water! YIKES! Most I could get pressure-wise was about 20psi when I pressed the end in the palm of my hand. It did a serious spray after that. Tried a temporary hook up to the house, but it won't get over 22 psi and then ....fails and zero's out. I think it may be becuase the inlet is only one inch and the ....uh....directions....call(ed) for 1 1/4". Who knew? I'll replace that inlet with the correct size and make it pvc. Also will move it closer to the creek. It's about twenty five feet away right now and the height from creek to pump is around three feet. I trust the horizontal run is not an issue as the delta difference in height. However....is there a chart someplace for head height? That is...how high can a 3/4 hp pump pump? Presently it's around 30-35 feet.

Comment

It sounds like the jet is plugged. That is if it's a shallow well jet pump. You never did say what brand or model it is. A plugged jet will cut the pump max pressure in half. Bushing the suction down to 1" will drop it's performance some, but won't keep it from making pressure.
              For every foot you go up vertically, it will cost you .433 pounds of pressure.

Comment

It's an Everbilt from HD. 3/4 hp. So at a max height of 30 feet I lose less than 15 psi. The pump regulator is at 30/50 and max pump pressure is allowed at 65. However....starting the pump again today, it got as far 26/28 psi when I cracked the kitchen cold water faucet. Lots of air came out, of course, but after closing the pressure started falling until it zeroed out. Again. The prime was good. It has about a four foot 1 1/4 pvc on the inlet side. I do not understand why it always zeroes out when I relieve any house pressure. And...it does not even get to the minimum 30 psi. Bad pump? Copious supply of clear water on the suction side. I do not understand....
                It is just a standard shallow well 3/4 hp pump. No jet.
                Thanks, Speedbump.

Comment

Shallow well pumps all have jets. Centrifugals and self priming centrifugals do not have jets and typically have trouble getting much past 40 psi. They are designed to move lots of water but not make so much pressure. If your getting air, you must have an air leak somewhere in the suction line. Air can leak into places that water can't leak out of but will really cut down on the pumps efficiency because it's always trying to re catch a prime. That could have a lot to do with your pressure issues too.

I won't comment on your choice of pump brands.

Comment

Thanks, Speedbump. I have pretty much the same opinion of those big box store pumps. The one for the deep well will be a much better brand, I can assure you....
                    Thanks very much for the help.

Comment

Got it working today. FINALLY!! It chugged water for over ten minutes through a 1.25 poly pipe a hundred feet long. In addition to the pump depth of a hundred feet. Very pleased. Will tie it to the house tomorrow.

Comment

We all knew you could do it!

Comment

This was truly a team effort. From two super, super neighbor/friends, to my support group from Home Repair Forum (HayZee and Speedbump...), to so many of the company's who provided tech support. Especially my wife who has NEVER rushed me or complained through this project. Instead she furnished her support and, of course, the requisite snacks for us. Thanks to all....

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =