Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct burial wire....

I believe this is the wire to use for the well pump project.
    (Kalas Type UF-B 10/2 WIRE W/Ground 10 GA 250 ft direct burial feeder wire usa)
    I know it can be buried directly ion the ground, but can it also be used directly in water, too? It will be about fifty feet under water along with the pump. I will get the water proof connectors.
    Last edited by mrcaptainbob; 04-21-2016, 09:04 PM. Reason: picture

Additionally, I'm wondering about the under water connection. The two insulated wires will be butt spliced and in their own plastic tubes with the threaded ends that compress a grommet to make it water tight. But what about the ground wire? It will be bare in the water. Not a problem? Also, I read on some site about the well casing being grounded. That 'ground' wire that's a part of the feed will be grounded at the main panel. Not understanding....

Comment

Don't use those plastic tubes. Use a shrink tube splice kit like this one: Product Categories Splice Kits
      I don't know what the right wire for direct burial is, Hayzee should know. Yes the ground wire should be connected to the casing (only if it's metal) and any other box it passes through. It will be connected to the pump motors shell too. Yes it can be bare.

Comment

Thanks Speedbump. Tell me...why to not use the plastic tubes...

Comment

Those plastic tubes have been around since I was a kid. Sears and a few other places used them. I have pulled many of them out (not recently though) and they had water in them. Their seal is not that great. The shrink tubes are as good and maybe even better than a three wrap splice like we have always used. 5/8" electrical tape wrapped around the splice starting 1.5" from the left side (I'm right handed) of the butt connector going 1.5" past the right side, back to the left 1-1/2" past the start and back over one more time to 1.5" past the second wrap.

Yours are on the way. Thanks for the order.

Comment

Was not aware that was in the Home Repair 'Family'. It's now bookmarked.

Comment

It's not really. It's our website and forum. Not so much about home repair. More about pumps and wells. We do water filtration also but there are a million people doing that on line.

Comment

Forum Family....

Well, Speedbump, I consider Speedbump a part of the Forum Family... Wish I wold have been more observant and fanned some of my orders your way. Thanks again.

Comment

Let me know how the splice kits work for you. A hair dryer is the easiest way to shrink the tube.

Comment

I have one splice in place. The one at the pump pigtail. Hairdryer or heat gun is not available at almost 500' from the house. Propane torch did it. I was careful to not heat it so as to break over the butt connector. I do have a question on that....does it matter that the ground is bare in the water? I would think not, but that ground does feed back to the ground buss of the main house panel. And I believe you mentioned that that same ground (from the pump motor) be tied to the well casing, as well. I'll do that. But....why? Electrolysis?

Comment

electrolysis occurs only with dissimilar metals that are active with each other. iron/copper, galvanized/copper will eat a joint in nothing flat. that's why the zinc anode in a hot water tank. if there is a break in the glass liner, zinc will "plate" into the break/bare area. bare copper is ok in water. a lot of water mains are copper in contact with the earth cover.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =