Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Fridge under pressure

All I know is that it is a ten year old side-by-side Kenmore. It's my cousin's. I do know the doors are very difficult to open. They are especially difficult to open right after closing. The suction is incredible. Cousin is in her mid-70's and it's become more than a chore for her. I have seen it so difficult that the entire cabinet will move before the doors, either one, will open. A few years ago I put some wedges in front of the wheels. What can I do to alleviate this problem for her? Cut a hole in the bottom (or top?) of the door gaskets?

Often the suction that make refrigerator doors hard to open will take a while to form, after warm air has entered the fridge with the doors open. As that warm air cools it shrinks, creating lower pressure inside the cabinet.

Creating a hole so that slight vacuum does not form may be possible however it will also allow air leakage into the cabinet which will affect cooling. I do not know where such a hole would be best to be as no factory ever suggested such modification that I'm aware of.

Rather than making a permanent modification to the fridge, maybe put something between the door gasket and cabinet (eg. a shim) to prevent it from sealing tightly against the cabinet in one small area. If it affected operation it could easily be removed.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 06-08-2016, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Dan O. I'll try that.

Comment

The gasket is magnetic. A metal shimming device will stick to the surface of gasket without adhesive and can easily be removed afterward.

JFYI

Dan O.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =