Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator Water Filters

I purchased a Kenmore side by side maybe six months ago to replace my old 25 year old frig. This one is made by Whirlpool for Sears. This one has the ice maker in the door and I really think it's a great design feature. Anyway the water filter replacement light is on when I open the door. Trying to understand what makes them determine when a replacement filter is needed? Is it water flow or time? We very rarely use water from the water dispenser on the door. So most of the water going through the filter is headed to the ice maker. Should I pay attention to the "replace water filter light" or ignore it until the flow is perhaps restricted? Or should I just anty up and buy a few filters and have them available?

Trying to understand how things work for the most part so I can make decisions on my own.

How yours works will depend on the exact refrigerator model involved and how it was designed. Probably only the manufacturer could tell you. Often both time and usage is measured.

I've been told that the activated charcoal used in water filters will spoil not only with use but also with time. Microbes can grow in it over time.

It will be up to you whether you want to chance it.

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you. I am going to attempt the same question from Sears, but I know they won't know. The system is designed to force you to replace water filters. The microbe (bacteria) thing is one I didn't really consider. I was thinking more in terms of metals.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleChief
        I am going to attempt the same question from Sears, but I know they won't know.
        Such detailed information will likely only be found in the unit's service manual. I doubt the Sears call center will have access to that. You'd likely need to talk to someone in service to find out or contact the technical assistance of the actual manufacturer of the appliance (Sears doesn't make anything them self - see the following link).

LINK > Appliance411 : Who makes Kenmore?

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I'll give Whirlpool a call and maybe they have an answer since they made it. I am not against buying new water filters, I just don't want to be a robot doing precisely what the readout on the frig says. The manual does not address this issue specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleChief
            I am not against buying new water filters, I just don't want to be a robot doing precisely what the readout on the frig says.
            I don't blame you.

I haven't seen the results of any actual tests but I did find the following online. The manufacturers (of course) recommend replacing the filters regularly.

LINK > Beginner’s Guide to Charcoal Water Filters

Issues with GAC (Granular Activated Carbon) Filters

A common problematic concern with GAC filters is that, as water travels through the filter, it finds the path in the loose carbon bed where there is least resistance. Hence, during channeling process, water bypasses carbon in the filter making the adsorption capacity of carbon underutilized.

Bacterial growth in GAC filters is also a very often phenomenon. When micro-organisms are present in contaminated water and it moves through the loose GAC bed, it creates stationary pockets of contaminated water within carbon bed.

The trapped bacteria multiply immediately within the pores of GAC. These bacteria eventually find their way into the clean filtered water.

There are times when consumers still find carbon particles in filtered water during use. This is due to generation of fines produced by the wearing out of carbon particles by friction on the loose bed.
            JFYI

Dan O.
            Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =