Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New propane line....

I'm replacing the existing rented propane tank with my own. It will also be placed in a better location. The new distance will require an underground run of about 160'. The house needs are a gas dryer and the house furnace. The existing line is 1/2" (o.d.) copper. The new run I expect to be the plastic covered flexible line. I can get 3/4" for a pretty darned good price. Would the diameter be an issue? I will use the correct risers to attach to new regulators. As for the regulators, how do I know what to purchase? Since the new tank will be an 800G, what nomenclature is used for the 1st stage? The same question for the 2nds stage, too. I understand they are step down pressure regulators, but what do I ask for? The house inlet pipe is 3/4" iron. I expect the 2nd stage inlet and outlet to both be 3/4". The 1st stage outlet will be 3/4", too, I expect, but how do I know what the inlet should be? Thanks for any help. By the way, the company providing the tank will send an installer out to verify all work.

I recommend you search on line for the L-545 Servicemans Manual or the LP Servicemans Handbook. These have all the info you need to plan & install an LP system. The 1st stage regulator drops tank pressure down to 10 psi. It's input is a standard LP pigtail with a POL on the tank end and a 3/8" or 1/2" MIP on the other end. The size of the tubing between the 2 regulators can be determined from the charts in the Handbook. The 2nd stage regulator usually has 3/4" FIP on both sides and drops 10psi down to 11 inches WC. You will need a tubing flare adapter to 3/4" at the input. When you bury the tubing, you will need a dielectric union where the tubing connects to the 2nd stage regulator. NFPA 58, Liquified Petroleum Gas Code is the definitive reference.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Adnadeau. I'm studying the manual now. Very informative. Very helpful!

Comment

Read the manual and have 95% of the supplies. I need to get back to the supply store and get the pig tail fittings that go between the tank and first stage regulator. Before I go I'd like to know what kind of connectors those are. Are they a gas type fitting? The existing is what appears to be a 1/4" copper line. Are those compression fittings or single or double flare? On the new system both, propane tank end and regulator end are 1/2". Can 3/8" copper be used between them? I could check the existing to see but am loath to introduce air in the line at this point.

Comment

You should be able to buy a pre-made tank pigtail. It will have a POL fitting on the tank end and either a 3/8" or 1/2" mip on the regulator end. The tank end always has a POL. To make sure, check the nut that's on your present connection; it should have grooves on the points of the nut to indicate a left-hand thread.

Comment

It's all installed and now is filled 33%. Was pleased to have the blessings of the propane people. I purchased and installed all but that pigtail, which they supplied. There was one minor hiccup. Gas was leaking from the gauge gasket. The tank supplier did come out and replaced the steel cap screws with stainless and even chased the threads. Not much gas escaped. All is well now and my wife is especially pleased with it being out of line-of-her-sight. So....I'm happy, too!
            Thank you for all your help and suggestions. It did calm my anxieties.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =