Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring / outlets or appliance?

I live in a manufactured home. The #1 kitchen outlet on the circuit is a GFCI and I am sure #2, #3 and #4 outlets are downstream on the GFCI protected circuit. When a coffee pot is plugged into #2 outlet, the cord to the pot gets warm/hot.. Same for the toaster over on #3 outlet. Is this a symptom of a poor outlet (plug fixture or something else). When discussing this around a camp fire, someone said that Mfg homes quite often use cheaper outlets with push in wire connections and they should be replaced with screw/wire connection type outlets. Local big box store employees have no clue.. any ideas or opinions?

Most circuits in manufactured homes are 15 amp circuits and only wired with 14 gauge wire. This could be the problem with the coffee maker and toaster oven, with heating elements they may be pulling too much current for the 15A/14 gauge wiring. If I recall correctly my manufactured home has two breakers/circuits for kitchen plugs, one is a 15A/14 gauge wire and the other is a 20A/12 gauge wire. This is something you might want to check in your home and use appliances that pull more current on the 20A/12 gauge circuit. I'll also tell you it's likely your water heater is wired with a 20A/12 gauge wire instead of a 30A/10 gauge wire meaning if you ever have to replace the water heater you need to replace the breaker/wiring or use a water heater with lower watt elements. Most home water heaters are at least 4500 watt units, but if you're going to run the water heater on 20A/12 gauge wire it shouldn't be more than about 3500-3800 watt for safety. I just had to replace my water heater a couple months ago and had to special order a 3800 watt unit that would be safe to use with the original circuit. Rather than the manufacturer spend a few cents on heavier wire they use lighter wire and rely on the owner to have the knowledge of electricity, upgrade, spend a few hundred dollars having to hire an electrician to replace the breaker and rewire the circuit.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =