Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser 73s leaking fuel, fumes

I picked up a used Laser 73 and the previous owner said it was leaking fuel out of the reservoir and the chamber. I haven't messed with it yet but I am thinking the ignitor may be inop. Has anyone found a universal igniter that will fit these?

The other Laser 73 I bought from the fellow supposedly has a cracked heat exchanger. They appear to be pricey but I am hoping I can take parts off one to make the other work. Is it common for the heat exchangers to crack over time or does it indicate another problem? The cabinets on both of these units are in excellent condition. One was manufactured in 2000 and the other around 93 I think.

The heat exchanger being cracked is an indication of over heat. You should look at the burner pot. It could need a new burner mat or it could be warped. If warped it will have to be replaced. The fuel leak is a separate problem. If it is leaking around the sump it could be a loose fitting of the fuel line. If the leak is at the top of the sump, it may be overflowing. Pushing the Red button too much can cause an over flow. A bad or dirty float valve is another problem. A leak out of the chamber could be a bad igniter.

Tom

Comment

Im going to try to fire these up later today. I have to get everything setup. Luckily I can get high quality K1 right now for 2.40 a gallon. Are heat exchanger cracks repairable do you think?

Comment

If the crack is just on the outside between the chambers Toyotomi has a patch. More than likely the baffle inside is also cracked and that is not repairable.

Tom

Comment

Im in the process of running one of these. The unit looks basically new. It doesn't even have dust on it. I can see how the heat exchangers may crack however. It looks like an exhaust header on a car. It is probably thin material.

Comment

code ee2

I had the unit running for a couple minutes ok, then it ran out of fuel and threw an ee2 code. I haven't been able to get it going again but I don't really see anything else wrong. The unit is so clean I don't think it has that many hours on it.

Comment

Red button one time for one second.

Tom

Comment

OK I will try again. This unit is pristine. I just picked up about 30 gallons of Kerosene. Prices are going up. :-(

Comment

I tried the 2nd unit and it started right up fine. It seems to have had use. I am looking at the heat exchanger and there are a couple of spots where it looks like moisture leaked through the seams, a little bit where the tubes go into the bottom of the heat exchanger. There is also a glob of it where the lower tank seams on the heat exchanger come together. I don't see any cracks or anything. Is the moisture getting through normal or is it indicative or a bad heat exchanger? The unit runs fine.

Comment

Update

I figured out what the problems are. I need some help fixing them. The first unit had the internal fuel valve shut off. I turned it on and no more ee2. So I shut it off and a few minutes later fuel began to leak out of the burn chamber. I believe the rubber hose that goes to the burn chamber is delivering fuel to it after shutdown. Is there a common float problem inside the reservoir that will cause this?

The 2nd unit does have a cracked heat exchanger. I have a photo but it won't let me upload it for some reason.

I am wondering if anyone has tried to repair cracks in these. If so what type of material works best? It is at the top of the heat echanger and its a couple inches long.

Comment

If the fuel sump valve is leaking and dumping fuel into the air side of the burner you will need to do a couple of things. Either fix the valve or replace it with a new sump. Fixing the valve could be as simple as cleaning the tip off. You do have to be very careful to get it back correctly. Test it with the top off to be sure your work is good. Be sure the level of your fuel tank is not too high as per spec. If the inside of the sump has any sign of corrosion you will have to replace the sump. You are going to need to pull the burner off and inspect the bottom of the pot. There is a pad under the burner that may be soaked with fuel. If so it will have to be replaced.

Nobody welds Toyotomi heat exchangers. You can not guarantee what goes on behind the weld, as you can not see inside. Most of the time you have to replace the heat exchanger. BTY, that is the most expensive part on the whole unit. As I stated before, if the exchanger is cracked there is a good chance the burner pot is warped.

Comment

OK I will take apart the sump and see what happens. The other unit does not have the rubber line going from the sump to the burner. There is definitely a problem with it because I am only using a 5 gallon tank to feed it. Hopefully it is something easy. These Toyo heaters seem a little bit easier to work on than the Monitors.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =