Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser 73s leaking fuel, fumes

Thanks

Laser 73s leaking fuel, fumes

I picked up a used Laser 73 and the previous owner said it was leaking fuel out of the reservoir and the chamber. I haven't messed with it yet but I am thinking the ignitor may be inop. Has anyone found a universal igniter that will fit these?

The other Laser 73 I bought from the fellow supposedly has a cracked heat exchanger. They appear to be pricey but I am hoping I can take parts off one to make the other work. Is it common for the heat exchangers to crack over time or does it indicate another problem? The cabinets on both of these units are in excellent condition. One was manufactured in 2000 and the other around 93 I think.

Thanks
    The heat exchanger being cracked is an indication of over heat. You should look at the burner pot. It could need a new burner mat or it could be warped. If warped it will have to be replaced. The fuel leak is a separate problem. If it is leaking around the sump it could be a loose fitting of the fuel line. If the leak is at the top of the sump, it may be overflowing. Pushing the Red button too much can cause an over flow. A bad or dirty float valve is another problem. A leak out of the chamber could be a bad igniter.

Tom

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hawkins111 For This Useful Post:

rrob311 (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Im going to try to fire these up later today. I have to get everything setup. Luckily I can get high quality K1 right now for 2.40 a gallon. Are heat exchanger cracks repairable do you think?

Thanks
    If the crack is just on the outside between the chambers Toyotomi has a patch. More than likely the baffle inside is also cracked and that is not repairable.

Tom

Thanks
    Im in the process of running one of these. The unit looks basically new. It doesn't even have dust on it. I can see how the heat exchangers may crack however. It looks like an exhaust header on a car. It is probably thin material.

Thanks

code ee2

I had the unit running for a couple minutes ok, then it ran out of fuel and threw an ee2 code. I haven't been able to get it going again but I don't really see anything else wrong. The unit is so clean I don't think it has that many hours on it.

Thanks
    Red button one time for one second.

Tom

Thanks
    OK I will try again. This unit is pristine. I just picked up about 30 gallons of Kerosene. Prices are going up. :-(

Thanks
    I tried the 2nd unit and it started right up fine. It seems to have had use. I am looking at the heat exchanger and there are a couple of spots where it looks like moisture leaked through the seams, a little bit where the tubes go into the bottom of the heat exchanger. There is also a glob of it where the lower tank seams on the heat exchanger come together. I don't see any cracks or anything. Is the moisture getting through normal or is it indicative or a bad heat exchanger? The unit runs fine.

Thanks

Update

I figured out what the problems are. I need some help fixing them. The first unit had the internal fuel valve shut off. I turned it on and no more ee2. So I shut it off and a few minutes later fuel began to leak out of the burn chamber. I believe the rubber hose that goes to the burn chamber is delivering fuel to it after shutdown. Is there a common float problem inside the reservoir that will cause this?

The 2nd unit does have a cracked heat exchanger. I have a photo but it won't let me upload it for some reason.

I am wondering if anyone has tried to repair cracks in these. If so what type of material works best? It is at the top of the heat echanger and its a couple inches long.

Thread Information