Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Septic tank and drain field....

I think I know where the septic tank is, judging by the patch of 'different' grass there, but no idea where the drain field is. The county health department said if it was built before the 70's they would have no record and, well, they don't. This place was built around the mid 1860's with updates as time went on. So, how can I find the drain field? Hand dig a few test ditches? Is there NO easier way?? About how deep would a drain field be?

I'd start at the septic tank drain and go from there. I'd expect the drain field to be 2-3' below the natural surface.

Comment

14". Could not use power equipment. Even hand digging showed both, crockery tile and corrugated plastic with 3/4" holes all around.

Comment

little expensive but ground seeking radar will work

Comment

Well, the job is finally finished. Got rid of the leased pro pain tank and purchased my own. The old was too close to the house and my wife was not happy. The new is off by the fence line and mostly out of sight. The problem was cutting across eighty feet of potential drain field. That's where the hand digging came in. Found both, crockery type tile and perforated corrugated plastic about 14" down. I buried the gas line at 12" and it's all covered up now.
          Because of the age of this old house I found more than a few 'treasures'. A LOT of broken glass and pottery from old dishware, but the more interesting finds was an old school desk ink bottle (intact) and, best of all, was a Michigan license plate from 1911! And that is in remarkably great shape!
          Any way....thanks for all your help and suggestions.....

Comment

Working...
          X
          =