Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridge / Freezer - dispenses water but doesn't make ice

Hi Group!

I have the following KicthenAid: KSC23C8EYY. We didn't buy it, it came with the house. It seems to get bad to OK reviews, including the ice maker not working.

Here is my setup. It dispenses water but does not make ice. If I fill the bin with ice manually it dispenses it OK, so that part works OK. The freezer is cold enough to keep food / ice frozen and the display says 0 degrees. The ice maker is switched ON. Basically all the troubleshooting steps have been taken and nothing worked. I don't know if it matters but the house was lying empty for about 9 months. The kitchen is new as of 9/2015. When I say "new", I mean in terms of usage. The previous owners updated the kitchen to help sell the place but they weren't actually living in the house at the time so nothing was in daily use. There is a warning to replace the filter since it's been longer than 6 months and I know that clogged filters can prevent ice being made, but how much does the filter really need to be replaced if it wasn't actually in use? It's just old. I can try replacing it for $50 but I am trying to rule out other things first.

I have two things to try:
    1. defrosting the ice maker -- it's possible the freezer was on but the ice maker was off while the house was on the market. Could that situation lead to a frozen ice maker?
    2. I saw this online - I am going to try is filling the ice maker with water manually and see if it makes / ejects the ice as expected.

Cheers, Max

Basically all the troubleshooting steps have been taken and nothing worked.
    Making blanket statements is not helpful at all. We're going to need to know exactly what has been done so we know what to suggest.

if I fill the bin with ice manually it dispenses it OK,
    The ice dispenser has nothing to do with making ice. They are independent systems. One has no bearing on the other's functioning.

If you fill the icemaker's cube tray with water, will it freeze and then be harvested (i.e. dumped)?

Could that situation lead to a frozen ice maker?
    No. It might lead to a frozen fill tube to the icemaker, not the icemaker itself.

I am going to try is filling the ice maker with water manually and see if it makes
    So you haven't actually tried all the troubleshooting steps. There's no telling what else has been missed unless you tell us what has been done.

Let us know the results of manually filling the icemaker.

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
      Making blanket statements is not helpful at all. We're going to need to know exactly what has been done so we know what to suggest.

The ice dispenser has nothing to do with making ice. They are independent systems. One has no bearing on the other's functioning.

If you fill the icemaker's cube tray with water, will it freeze and then be harvested (i.e. dumped)?

No. It might lead to a frozen fill tube to the icemaker, not the icemaker itself.

So you haven't actually tried all the troubleshooting steps. There's no telling what else has been missed unless you tell us what has been done.

Let us know the results of manually filling the icemaker.

Dan O.
      Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

I hate having to explain myself but replies like yours force my hand.

Blanket statements? I described exactly what I had tried and contrary to your assertion that I had NOT tried all the troubleshooting steps, I did. I guess I had to say, "I have tried all the troubleshooting steps as outlined in the manual." Better? Filling the reservoir with water and seeing what happens is something I found online, it is NOT mentioned in the manual.

I know the ice dispenser has nothing to do with making ice. I was simply sharing all the information I have. Why so picky?

Thanks for your help but I'll go somewhere else. This place used to be friendlier. I don't remember people's posts being expertly picked apart. Have a nice day.

Comment

Accuracy speeds diagnosis

I have tried all the troubleshooting steps as outlined in the manual
        Since we don't have the manual, we don't know what those are. There are also troubleshooting tips that might not be in the owner's manual that could have been investigated. We don't know what everything you've tried.

If you tell us specifically what has done we'll be happy to make additional suggestions. Making us guess at what has been done and what hasn't may miss an obvious avenue of investigation. The more accurate information we have, the better the chance you can get to the cause of the problem as quickly as possible.

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dear User. Dan O is like a doctor. If you don't tell him specifically what its doing or not doing, we can find a fix. Have you measured any voltage at the water solenoid for the icemaker during the fill cycle? There's two solenoids one for water one for icemaker. Next to check would be the output terminal on the timer.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =