Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blower motor - Control board not telling the capacitor to give an assist at startup?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower motor - Control board not telling the capacitor to give an assist at startup?

On my old Carrier 58GSC furnace, there is a humming sound when the motor is supposed to kick in, and if I give the fan a spin it will go fine. Everybody on the web says it is the run capacitor, but I replaced the run capacitor with another one of the same rating (12.5 uF, 370 VAC) and it still doesn't go.

I got the replacement through ebay for $5 including shipping, which makes me worry that maybe they just sent me a bad part? I don't have a multimeter to check the capacitor.

The other possibility, I figured, is that it's a control board issue. Maybe the control board isn't telling the capacitor to give an assist at startup? Anyone know if this might be it?

Thanks!

Possible answer

I just read this on an old post in this forum:

"There is a centrifugal switch inside the motor which disconnects the capacitor when the motor is up to speed".

This makes sense. Do all motors work this way?

Comment

Motors like yours that have only run caps don't have centrifugal switches. The capacitor is in line all the time, so a cut off switch isn't needed. You may have gotten a bad cap on Ebay. If the motor runs fine with a spin of the fan, doesn't sound funny or get overly hot, I don't know what else it could be. I am not an HVAC guy and don't work on these items so I'm not sure what the control board actually does.

Comment

This might help explain the capacitors purpose and aid in the diagnosis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_capacitor

Comment

The Wiki article is great! That's like a small tutorial.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =