Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well

I'm having an issue with fluctuating well pressure for faucets and lawn sprinkler system. If I turn a hose on (all are connected to the well) the pressure starts out fine after a minute or so it drops off then after a small wait it picks back up again, seems to cycle like this for as long as the hose is on, same happens if I watch the sprinklers. Funny thing is if I turn on two faucets the pressure seems to stay the same.
    Well is about 60' down, pump is about 8 years old same with the pressure tank etc...
    Any ideas why I'm getting the fluctuations ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Fluctuation is normal in a pump/tank/well system. There is a 20psi differential set in between pump-on & pump-off. Most pressure switches are set to 20/40 or 30/50 psi. I suggest you check out your tank. Is it a diaphragm type or some other type? Check the side of the tank for any labels with model number & specs for the pump & tank. For instance, a Well Rite WR60 tank is a 20 gal. tank with a drawdown of 6.8 gal. at 30/50 settings. You can use a mud bucket to measure your drawdown from high pressure to low & see how it compares to specs for the tank. Diaphragm tanks have an air precharge corresponding to the lower pressure setting. You can measure this by shutting off power to the pump, shutting off the house piping, & draining the tank. Use a tire pressure gauge on the valve stem at the top of the tank. Add air if necessary with a tire pump. If you see no pressure fluctuation with 2 faucets going, it means the pump is running constantly & not cycling on & off. What's your pump's rating in gpm compared with the flow from the 2 faucets? Also, is your pump turning on when it's supposed to or is it going below the turn-on setting? Maybe the pressure switch is clogged.

Comment

adnadeau did a great job of explaining that. I'm with him on the pressure switch being clogged. The tubing or small pipe nipple that feeds pressure to the switch may be almost completely closed off with mineral causing the switch to not sense the actual pressure until a little later which allows the actual pressure in the system to go much lower than it should because the switch is not turning the pump on when it should. If you have a jet pump, you may find that the housing of the pump where the tubing is connected to the pump may be closed off at the end of the fitting. I have had to stick screw drivers etc into the hole after removing the fitting to re open the threaded hole.

Comment

Pump (Red jacket I think it's named) bottom of well. I'll look at the switch today currently watching the sprinklers outside surge.
        So If I buy a new switch I need to get one the same numbers as on the pressure tank ?
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Pressure switches can be adjusted. So buying the same exact one isn't that important. If your sprinklers are surging, it sounds more like a waterlogged tank. Which is very hard on your pump motor. Red Jacket is a brand name. Not owned by ITT.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =