Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-winter howl (combustion)

I’ve ordered new bearings for the 422, and after taking the small cooling fan off the combustion motor I find a third rubber lube cap on the face of the bearing cap. It appears to have been full of grease, unlike the two oil caps on top. Is it likely I’ll find a second face cap when I remove the motor from the frame, and does anyone have thoughts about what to fill them with? Your’s in heat (it was -27 here Saturday), Gary

I am not sure what you have there? I have never tried to use ball bearings in an older M422 that had bronze bearings. Keep us posted as to your progress. Take some pictures when you get the motor opened up. Thanks, Tom H

Comment

Originally posted by hawkins111 View Post
      I am not sure what you have there? I have never tried to use ball bearings in an older M422 that had bronze bearings. Keep us posted as to your progress. Take some pictures when you get the motor opened up. Thanks, Tom H
      Hi Tom, i ordered the bearings after reading one of your older forum posts, and assumed they should be 625zz that you quoted. Are the motors with oil plugs the older syle, or the newer? After loosening the motor, I see it does have a forth oil plug on the side facing the combustion fan bracket. What I took as grease is actually fiber, so I guess all four are oil ports. I’ll try that first to see if things quiet down. Thanks, GaryClick image for larger version

Name:	4A17BCDA-32CD-49EE-A607-F4653B153E0D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	87374

Comment

Yes they are the older style. I never tried to take an older style apart, so I'm not sure if the bearings will work. Sorry.

Comment

My bad. I reread, and see that the bearings are for the newer motor (okay, as I have one of those also). Thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X
          =